• Forum/Server Upgrade If you are reading this you have made it to the upgraded forum. Posts made on the old forum after 26th October 2023 have not been transfered. Everything else should be here. If you find any issues please let us know.

advice on dog crates

katie10

Young Bun
hiya, any1 know where i could get a good size dog crate to be my rabbits new home? or any good websites to buy 1 from please

hiya, any1 know where i could get a good size dog crate to be my rabbits new home? or any good websites to buy 1 from please

I got mine off ebay as i wanted a brown one to go with my living room,i got it for £22 and on every other website it was £60-£80!! there are usually lots on ebay or just google the size you want and see what offers are about :)

I dont but if you google 'dogit brown dog crate' it should come up.They are all pretty much the same,you can get them in silver,black and pink :) some have a plastic base and some metal base.
Some have just one door but some like mine have a door on front and on side

Just looked on pet planet,they seem to have a few on there on offer :wave:

Last edited:
aw thanx, my poor rabbit is in a bearly 4ft hutch the pet shop said it was ok size, i didnt realise till i joined here its tiny

aw thanx, my poor rabbit is in a bearly 4ft hutch the pet shop said it was ok size, i didnt realise till i joined here its tiny

Is it a house bunny? The dog crates are good and come in lots of sizes,i added a shelf in mine that thry loved to sit on!

she was ment to be an outdoor bunny, but my 3 year old wudnt let me put her outside so iv got the hutch inside which isnt working as you can imagine

That looks fine to me :)
You just need to think about what to line the bottom of the cage with now.
Is she litter trained? if you could use some lino or vinyl tiles etc
If she isn't a chewer you could use carpet also :)

Adding a shelf is really easy too,just get your wood cut to size then fix it either by putting batons underneath the width of the cage using washers that are bigger than the gaps in the bars if you get me :?

Have fun with it - it's like furnishing a mini house :lol:

oooh sounds fun, i hope she will lyk it im exited now lol. emm she hasnt got a litter tray in her hutch, and wen we first got her wen we let her run round th sitting room we put newspsper in th corner and she wud use that but recently she either holds it in til she goes bk in her hutch or has pood on th sofa?? i was thinkin bout gettin one ov them triangle corner litter trays 4 th crate wud that b ok? and yeh she chews alot latley, i was told its her hormones coz she needs to be spayed. how wud i put th lino down wud i need to glue it or anything?? and do u hav any suggestions ov wot else i could put in th crate 4 like a bed coz where wud she sleep? sori 4 all th questions lol

oooh sounds fun, i hope she will lyk it im exited now lol. emm she hasnt got a litter tray in her hutch, and wen we first got her wen we let her run round th sitting room we put newspsper in th corner and she wud use that but recently she either holds it in til she goes bk in her hutch or has pood on th sofa?? i was thinkin bout gettin one ov them triangle corner litter trays 4 th crate wud that b ok? and yeh she chews alot latley, i was told its her hormones coz she needs to be spayed. how wud i put th lino down wud i need to glue it or anything?? and do u hav any suggestions ov wot else i could put in th crate 4 like a bed coz where wud she sleep? sori 4 all th questions lol

No problem :)
I would start litter training her now to be honest.put it in the area of the hutch she uses and put a bit of soiled bedding (wees and poos) in there so she gets the idea. either put some hay in one end of the litter tray as they like to eat and poop at the same time or put some hay in a hay rack just above one end of the litter tray. If she isn't going in the house only in her hutch that's a good thing too.I used to have a litter tray in the living room for my 5 but now they have gone outdoors and i have only 1 bun in the house she uses her tray only so i don't bother with an extra tray now.
If you use lino i would say cover the edges with some wood beading to she doesnt see them to chew it or you could put mats in or carpet to see how she goes :) mine like mats but chew,but my new girl doesn't so she has blankets.
As for the bed,does she like sleeping on soft things? you could use a dog or cat bed or a blanket etc. most of mine aren't bothered but they like a blanket to snooze on.If you search on here i think you will find threads with pics of dog crates to help you.Anything else feel free to ask :wave:

there was some good pics on that thread got a few ideas, em no she hates lyin on soft things iv tried pillows blankets ect, so dont know where she will sleep in th crate, in her hutch she pushes the woodshavings out the way and flops herself on the wood

If you are keeping your rabbit in the crate as it's permanent home not just as a base, then even the largest crate wont be big enough without an attached pen.

If you are keeping your rabbit in the crate as it's permanent home not just as a base, then even the largest crate wont be big enough without an attached pen.

I was just about to say this. A dog crate alone is not big enough.

u shouldnt just assume i was going to use a crate, you could ov asked, i was plannin on having an 8 pannel pen attached, im trying to do whats best for my rabbit, when i got her i was told her 4x2x2 hutch was all she would need, they obviously lied since i found out on here its tiny, i hav her out every nyt 4 a few hours as i hav 2 children and this is th best time for us. im due my third baby tomorrow, and instead of thinking about stuff to do with th baby my mind is constantly on th rabbit because since joining here iv been made to feel as if im not treating her ryt. it costs money 4 these huge fancy hutches and atm i dont hav alot ov money with baby being due, and i dont hav a huge house where i could giv a room up just 4 the rabbit. and couldnt let her free range as i hav two small children and th rabbit chews alot. so im trying to improvise and do the best i can, and would appreciate it if u would not make me feel lyk im being cruel to her

u shouldnt just assume i was going to use a crate, you could ov asked, i was plannin on having an 8 pannel pen attached, im trying to do whats best for my rabbit, when i got her i was told her 4x2x2 hutch was all she would need, they obviously lied since i found out on here its tiny, i hav her out every nyt 4 a few hours as i hav 2 children and this is th best time for us. im due my third baby tomorrow, and instead of thinking about stuff to do with th baby my mind is constantly on th rabbit because since joining here iv been made to feel as if im not treating her ryt. it costs money 4 these huge fancy hutches and atm i dont hav alot ov money with baby being due, and i dont hav a huge house where i could giv a room up just 4 the rabbit. and couldnt let her free range as i hav two small children and th rabbit chews alot. so im trying to improvise and do the best i can, and would appreciate it if u would not make me feel lyk im being cruel to her

I know you are doing your best for her,otherwise you wouldn't have asked for help :)
Shops sell rabbits and don't tell you much about their care at all,i know that from experience. I didn't know a thing about rabbits til i came on here either.
The pen would be a good idea,either a puppy pen or use panels or nic grids etc :)

I know you are doing your best for her,otherwise you wouldn't have asked for help :)
Shops sell rabbits and don't tell you much about their care at all,i know that from experience. I didn't know a thing about rabbits til i came on here either.
The pen would be a good idea,either a puppy pen or use panels or nic grids etc :)
thanx :)

Back