• Forum/Server Upgrade If you are reading this you have made it to the upgraded forum. Posts made on the old forum after 26th October 2023 have not been transfered. Everything else should be here. If you find any issues please let us know.
  • Please Note - Medical Advice

Please keep in mind that posts on this forum are from members of the public sharing personal opinions. It is not a replacement for qualified medical advice from a veterinarian. Many illnesses share similar symptoms but require different treatments. A medical exam is necessary for an accurate diagnosis, without which appropriate treatment cannot be given.

You should always consult your vet before following any suggestions for medication or treatment you have read about. The wrong treatment could make your rabbit worse or mean your vet is unable to give the correct treatment because of drug interactions. Even non prescription drugs can do harm if given inappropriately.

We are very grateful to members who take time to answer other members questions, but please do be clear in your replies that you are sharing personal experience and not giving instructions on what must be done.

Urgent Medical Advice: If you need, or think you might need, urgent medical advice you should contact a vet. If it is out of working hours phone your vet's normal number and there should be an answer phone message with instructions on what to do.

So sad this evening major in pain :(

I feel so sick and can stop shaking :(
Just injected major pushed the needle into the scruf of his neck no problems then he moved and I thought the needle came out a bit so I pulled his skin up and push it in a tiny bit more he was still fine.I push the medication in but the plunger was really stiff so I pulled it back no blood ran into the syringe and slowly pushed the medication in,major was fine but when I slowly pulled the needle out he started grunting loudly such a horrible sound I panicked with that he streched out his whole body in a funny positon and floped on his side still grunting....His eyes were wide.I put a towel on him my partner was with him when I rang the emergency vet.When I was on the phone he stopped grunting and relaxed him self then sat up.
The emergency vet said I may have gone into his bloodstream (there was also a bit of blood more then what I have seen before).Or she said I may have hit the muscle.
I am confused as it only bothered him as I pulled the injection out.
He is due for the vets tomorrow for a check up......I dont think I will be able to do his injections anymore.
Have this happend to anyone else????

Last edited:
I worry about this every time, and I'm sure I have nicked the muscle at times. I had to inject one of the cats into the neck muscle on Wednesday and was very worried about it. I'm not convinced I got the muscle but she is fine. If he is OK you haven't really done anything wrong. I know you feel awful but I always think about how much worse things would be if I didn't inject- stressful but you are doing your best.

Not got any experience of injecting bunnies but wanted to say sorry about your bun - hope he is OK xxx

I hope your bunny is ok. I think that maybe you shouldn't be the one to inject him if you don't feel confident and competent.
Don't feel bad. I hope the vet check goes well tomorrow.

I hope your bunny is ok. I think that maybe you shouldn't be the one to inject him if you don't feel confident and competent.
Don't feel bad. I hope the vet check goes well tomorrow.

I have done injections with Major before and felt confident after doing them for a while but never have anything like this happend....I have lost confidence now I dont want to see that again so distressing....I may have to take him to the vets for his injections now.

I think you just need to get your confidence back and perhaps go over with the vet what happened and ask them to demonstrate the technique again or you practice with them there just to regain your confidence. I'm sure you can be confident again and i'm sure it's better for Major to have his injections at home if you can manage it. Good luck x

We have to inject angel and we were told to angel the needle so its not up and down but more streamline as thought pointing to her neck or tail. Push it in and it should make little pop if it doesnt slide in easy then wrong place if it doesnt push easy then still wrong place. Should never see any blood even when it comes out it should be clean. You can wet fur so its not in way and you can see skin and just pull a bit of skin towards you we were also told to alternate between backside rump area and neck to reduce soreness.

However we hadn't done it for a while and couple of moth had to do it again I remembered how to but when I done it I mustn't of pushed needle all the way and the stuff made a blob under skin I paniced but it slowly dispersed and she was ok.
Such a shock for you but if it needs doing then your the one to do it just have bit more practice and remember if it doesnt go in easy with little pop its not meant to go in that area.

I find it easier nipping a little skin between my thumb and 1st finger and the rest of scruff still in my hand then I can see where the neddle is going and feel any veins etc.

x
how is he now?

We have to inject angel and we were told to angel the needle so its not up and down but more streamline as thought pointing to her neck or tail. Push it in and it should make little pop if it doesnt slide in easy then wrong place if it doesnt push easy then still wrong place. Should never see any blood even when it comes out it should be clean. You can wet fur so its not in way and you can see skin and just pull a bit of skin towards you we were also told to alternate between backside rump area and neck to reduce soreness.

However we hadn't done it for a while and couple of moth had to do it again I remembered how to but when I done it I mustn't of pushed needle all the way and the stuff made a blob under skin I paniced but it slowly dispersed and she was ok.
Such a shock for you but if it needs doing then your the one to do it just have bit more practice and remember if it doesnt go in easy with little pop its not meant to go in that area.

I find it easier nipping a little skin between my thumb and 1st finger and the rest of scruff still in my hand then I can see where the neddle is going and feel any veins etc.

x
how is he now?

He seems fine now I just dont understand what could have happended my vet told me I could not hit anything dangerous in the scruff of his neck....but I must have hit something if he reacted that way :(

Back