• Forum/Server Upgrade If you are reading this you have made it to the upgraded forum. Posts made on the old forum after 26th October 2023 have not been transfered. Everything else should be here. If you find any issues please let us know.
  • Please Note - Medical Advice

Please keep in mind that posts on this forum are from members of the public sharing personal opinions. It is not a replacement for qualified medical advice from a veterinarian. Many illnesses share similar symptoms but require different treatments. A medical exam is necessary for an accurate diagnosis, without which appropriate treatment cannot be given.

You should always consult your vet before following any suggestions for medication or treatment you have read about. The wrong treatment could make your rabbit worse or mean your vet is unable to give the correct treatment because of drug interactions. Even non prescription drugs can do harm if given inappropriately.

We are very grateful to members who take time to answer other members questions, but please do be clear in your replies that you are sharing personal experience and not giving instructions on what must be done.

Urgent Medical Advice: If you need, or think you might need, urgent medical advice you should contact a vet. If it is out of working hours phone your vet's normal number and there should be an answer phone message with instructions on what to do.

Please help. My Bun is missing toes!

Hello, I hope someone can help. I am new to all this bunny business, so any advice or help is much appreciated.
I have just clipped the toenails of my two young bunnies. I noticed that Chock,our 12 wk old Rex, only has 4 toes on one of his front feet and only 2 toes on one of his back feet. We have only had him 10 days so I hadn't noticed his feet that closely, (He's been a bit of a kicker!)We have been concentrating on handling and bonding with him.

I took the pet shops word that he was in full health. He is, he just seems to have a couple less toes than Merlieah, our Lop, does.... I shud have checked him at the shop myself, Hindsight (LOL) is a wonderful thing!

Shud I be worried for him?
Is this likely to cause any problems for him?
Poor Chockie Wockie!

I've read on here that Rex's can get Hock Sores hence the clipping and checking of his feet today.

He is very happy and healthy, he doesn't limp or have any problems walking, climbing or jumping!!!

Actually I think he thinks He's a cat! :lol:
Hugs Vee

Last edited:
Are you sure it's not just the nails that are missing from the ends of the toes? Bunnies can rip the nails out of the nail bed - usually if they've got them caught in something.

I don't have any experience of Rexes but I'm sure someone else will come along with plenty of advice.

Welcome to the forum by the way :wave:.

I'll check him again l8r.

I'l let him calm down a lil b4 I check him again but I'm sure there wasn't even any buds. There isnt really anything to catch his toes on.
Love U Chock! :love:
Thanks for the nice welcome!

VEE

PS: Flora is beaUtiful !

Nope! definatly missing toes here.

22082010373.JPG

Well this is the pic of lil Chock's feet. As u can see there is a lil stump for toe #2 but #1 is definatley not there. I'm guessing this must be a birth defect. I've certainly not found any bits of toe laying around. I think the little red dot is where it has worn on the ground.It feels like a callus. It doesn't seem to hurt him when I touch it, Thank Goodness!
I will keep an eye on it too make sure it stays healthy.But any tips wud still be v helpful to this new bunnymummy.
Hugs VEE

Birth defect or chewed off by mum after birth - stressful breeding conditions can cause mum to chew off all sorts of body parts from their young.
The only other possibility I can think of is infection leading to necrosis and the toes literally dropping off as this happened to one of our cats years ago, but I think mum chewing them off at birth is the most likely.

The red spot looks like the begining of a sore and you are going to have to watch this very closely and adapt bun's environment now to try and prevent the sore progressing. Sadly Rex buns are already prone to sore hocks as you have read, but with an altered foot position/gait from missing toes this may be even more of a risk. Plenty of soft cushioned bedding, changed regularly and kept dry, and lots of exercise on soft ground should help, and as you know, keeping the nails nice and short. There are lots of threads on sore hocks on this sub-forum (health) as well as in (rabbit chat) full of ideas for bedding/exercise substrates etc. so have a search if you're not sure. :)

Welcome to RU :wave:
I completely agree with prettylupin's great advice & would just like to add that prevention is better than cure when it comes to Rexy hocks.
These missing digits will alter his gait & put pressure on areas of his foot that wouldn't normally take pressure.
However you are obviously a switched on bunny mum & have done your Rex research so I'm sure you will be able to manage the situation.
I have had to play catch up with my Rex boy who I adopted as a 4yr old as previous owners had not cared for his hocks. I experimented with a variety of suggestions that I'd researched & eventually struck upon a combination that worked for Gil, so I'd suggest just trying different things really.
There are many Rex owners on RU so there are lots of threads about this issue.
I'd also mention this to the pet shop as other buns from the same litter may have the same issue & may have gone to less vigilant owners. The pet shop may/may not feel they have a duty of care to inform the others of a potential problem.
You may find this helpful, if you've not seen it already -
http://www.rabbitwelfare.co.uk/resources/content/info-sheets/sorehocks.htm

Back