• Forum/Server Upgrade If you are reading this you have made it to the upgraded forum. Posts made on the old forum after 26th October 2023 have not been transfered. Everything else should be here. If you find any issues please let us know.

is newspaper safe for buns to eat?

LilyBot

Young Bun
normally in the bunnies hutch i put down sheets of newspaper then top it with sawdust (and hay in the bedroom). this is what i did with my last rabbits which worked fine but my current two just sit there and rip up the newspaper and eat it. :roll::lol::? ive stopped putting newspaper in because (other than the fact that torn up paper makes the hutch look messy) i wasnt sure if the newspaper ink was safe for them. is what i did right?

If you put lino down in the hutch you may be able to avoid putting anything else on it.

Newspaper print is ok for rabbits, the ink they used many years ago when it came off on your hands was poisonous for them, however this is not used now adays.

Wood shavings on the other hand is not good for rabbits can can cause respiratory problems among other issues. It is best avoided. There is a good thread about it on http://forums.rabbitrehome.org.uk/showthread.php?t=178252&highlight=shavings

For putting in a litter tray and then topping it with hay there are many products including megasorb which is relatively cheap to use.

Back