• Forum/Server Upgrade If you are reading this you have made it to the upgraded forum. Posts made on the old forum after 26th October 2023 have not been transfered. Everything else should be here. If you find any issues please let us know.
  • Please Note - Medical Advice

Please keep in mind that posts on this forum are from members of the public sharing personal opinions. It is not a replacement for qualified medical advice from a veterinarian. Many illnesses share similar symptoms but require different treatments. A medical exam is necessary for an accurate diagnosis, without which appropriate treatment cannot be given.

You should always consult your vet before following any suggestions for medication or treatment you have read about. The wrong treatment could make your rabbit worse or mean your vet is unable to give the correct treatment because of drug interactions. Even non prescription drugs can do harm if given inappropriately.

We are very grateful to members who take time to answer other members questions, but please do be clear in your replies that you are sharing personal experience and not giving instructions on what must be done.

Urgent Medical Advice: If you need, or think you might need, urgent medical advice you should contact a vet. If it is out of working hours phone your vet's normal number and there should be an answer phone message with instructions on what to do.

Underweight Bun

Terri_louise177

Alpha Buck
I'm a little concerned about Charlie. He recently had stasis but after a night at the vets and a week on medication was better than ever! Jumping, running, nomming, playing. He seems in such good health. The only thing is, he dropped in weight a bit while he had stasis to about 1.40 kg (he's a mini lop, the vet says he'd be happier if he was around 1.80 kg). It's been about 2 weeks and we took him back to the vet and I really thought he'd put on weight. But he weighed around 1.45kg. It's good that he hasn't lost any more, and the vet said if anything he's actually put on a tiny amount, but it seems such a small amount in 2 weeks. So he sent us on our way and asked us to keep up with the increased pellets and bring him back in a week or so to see if he's managed to gain any more. We feed him Oxbow T pellets mixed with a tiny amount of Excel (as we're trying to change him very slowly over to Oxbow), and we give him two egg cups full in the morning and then the same at night. He eats loads of hay too. He's also recently had a course of Pancur so I don't think it's worms.

Does anyone have any advice on how to get Charlie to put on some weight? Or any ideas what it could be? He gets tonnes of exercise everyday as he's never locked in his cage, so is this a good amount of pellets to be feeding him? I took a sample of his poos in with me and the vet said they look fine.

I feel so sorry for Charlie. He seems very happy but is super skinny when you run your hand over his back :( :( Any advice will be much appreciated :)

So sorry to hear Charlie is under weight. When some of my buns have been underweight in the past due to illness I have used breakfast porridge oats. I used to just buy the cheapest own brand in the supermarket. You need to make sure you mix it with some water though before feeding it to your bun to stop it blowing up in their tum. I read about this trick for putting on weight on this forum and it has worked for me.

The only thing I am not sure about is if it's OK to feed to a bun who is prone to stasis? (Is Charlie?) as my buns who I used it on didn't have any stomach related illness's. Maybe someone else on here knows?

Thank you for the reply :)! I've had Charlie 6 months and he's just over a year old and this is the first time he's had stasis, so I'm hoping it isn't a reoccurring thing. But I'm not sure as he was SO much better after his meds that it makes me think it was coming on for a while.

I really like the idea of oats if they're safe for buns who may be prone to stasis. Mainly becaues I hate not being able to do anything. If I try the oats and he doesn't put on weight then we know he has a different problem. So if anyone knows if it is okay to feed plain oats and water please say :)

Thank you!

When I got one of my adopted buns, he was very thin. A month later and a couple of handfuls of readigrass as well as usual pellets, hay and veg and he is like a different bunny. Lovely shape to him now and I think it is mainly the readigrass as its the only different thing he has to the food he had at the rescue. In fact, might have to cut it down or he will be the other way!:?

Did your vet find a route cause for his stasis? Or was it spontaneous? Very commonly it is a manifestation of an underlying illness, commonly dental issues for example causing mild chronic pain, and so the weight loss may be attributed to something other than the week of stasis, although weight loss during stasis is not uncommon. I think that the fact he has not lost any further weight is great, what was his weight pre-stasis? Does your vet keep a weight chart on his computer? This is a very good clinical diagnostic and worth them doing. My vets weigh my buns every time I come in and keep a weight graph so we can monitor weight 'change' as this is often more significan than a one-off weight reading.

Did your vet take some bloods? I think if your bun continues to remain a little thin despite his excellent diet then a good dental check and some bloods might be sensible? Personally I think what you are feeding is quite sufficient, plenty of exercise will also help build muscle which is heavier than fat and will bulk out a protruding spine. My buns weight gain without any pellets at all! :)

Did your vet find a route cause for his stasis? Or was it spontaneous? Very commonly it is a manifestation of an underlying illness, commonly dental issues for example causing mild chronic pain, and so the weight loss may be attributed to something other than the week of stasis, although weight loss during stasis is not uncommon. I think that the fact he has not lost any further weight is great, what was his weight pre-stasis? Does your vet keep a weight chart on his computer? This is a very good clinical diagnostic and worth them doing. My vets weigh my buns every time I come in and keep a weight graph so we can monitor weight 'change' as this is often more significan than a one-off weight reading.

Did your vet take some bloods? I think if your bun continues to remain a little thin despite his excellent diet then a good dental check and some bloods might be sensible? Personally I think what you are feeding is quite sufficient, plenty of exercise will also help build muscle which is heavier than fat and will bulk out a protruding spine. My buns weight gain without any pellets at all! :)

Thank you for this reply :)! I totally agree that there might be an underlying issue, although I really really hope there isn't :( :(. I'm taking him back in on the 2nd September and hopefully our vet will take a blood test or take some action :(! Do you think 1.4kg is quite small for a mini lop? And is his diet sufficent as a permanent diet or just for gaining weight in your opinion? Our vet always weighs him everytime we go in so has definitely got a chart. But I stupidly didn't ask what his original weight was, all I know was that it was "perfect" as said by Jason the bunny vet :). Oh I really hope he's okay, and Jason find out what's wrong with him. He always checks his teeth as Charlie had his incisors out so he likes to check they're not growing back and that the back ones are fine too.

I also do not know what caused his stasis. I know that his first VHD was the thing that sort of set it off, as he stopped eating (which I hear some rabbits do after their first vhd?) so it encouraged the slowing down of his tummy. Also, before he came to live with us he used to eat pure musli pellets (well just the green and yellow bits) and that's all. And I also heard his breeder kept all the buns in not great conditions so it's possible he was taked away from his mummy too young :(. Unfortunetly the lady we got Charlie from "cannot remember" where the breeder lives as I wanted to report her so this may be a lie by Charlie's previous owner to cover up her neglect of him.

Eek this has turned into an essay... just wanted to be thorough... I worry about my little babies so very much :( :(

Back