• Forum/Server Upgrade If you are reading this you have made it to the upgraded forum. Posts made on the old forum after 26th October 2023 have not been transfered. Everything else should be here. If you find any issues please let us know.
  • Please Note - Medical Advice

Please keep in mind that posts on this forum are from members of the public sharing personal opinions. It is not a replacement for qualified medical advice from a veterinarian. Many illnesses share similar symptoms but require different treatments. A medical exam is necessary for an accurate diagnosis, without which appropriate treatment cannot be given.

You should always consult your vet before following any suggestions for medication or treatment you have read about. The wrong treatment could make your rabbit worse or mean your vet is unable to give the correct treatment because of drug interactions. Even non prescription drugs can do harm if given inappropriately.

We are very grateful to members who take time to answer other members questions, but please do be clear in your replies that you are sharing personal experience and not giving instructions on what must be done.

Urgent Medical Advice: If you need, or think you might need, urgent medical advice you should contact a vet. If it is out of working hours phone your vet's normal number and there should be an answer phone message with instructions on what to do.

Help Please - Poorly Bunny!!

suzibunbun

Mama Doe
My liveliest and cheekiest little bunny Poppy Peaches is so much not herself this morning - no rushing to get out, no eating, just listless - when i brought her out of her pen and into the garden she just went back in. She is very piddly underneath and wet with orange wee and whilst watching her she strained lifting up her tail and back half and weed a little bit - to me this is an 'obvious' urine infection or related - I have booked a vet appointment for 10.45 - any advice till then??:cry:

Aww, bless her. Sounds like you're all sorted by getting her in at the vet.
You could clean her up a little bit, and maybe put a nice clean towel or vetbed for her to snuggle in.
Hope she feels better soon.

:( oh poor thing.

yes i agree a warm dry towel......or those puppypads if buns not an avid chewer.
i hope you get the problem sorted.:wave:

She is sitting on my garden chair on a bunny fleece right now surveying the garden - I have syringe fed her a little water - and she is watching her OH run round the garden like a mad one! typical bloke - doesn't care!!:lol:

Back From Vets

Poppy has been given injs of baytril and metacam, has been syringe fed some food too. Now it's up to me to complete the course and watch her - at the mo she is under another hutch gently nibbling some hay and bits of food - which is good news. Will have to wash her piddly bot later - any tips on how to do that effectively??:roll:

My bunny Smudge recently presented with exactly the same symptoms. In addition to the baytril and the metacam the vet gave us hibiscrub to wash him with every day. We then had to dry him carefully and apply a barrier cream to stop him getting sore.

Smudge's infection hasn't really gone away despite a few courses of baytril so he had an ultrasound which showed sludge in his bladder. Hopefully that's not Poppy's problem though it may be worth giving her low calcium veg for a while just in case.

Good luck with Poppy's treatment.

What's low calcium veg please??:?

My bunny Smudge recently presented with exactly the same symptoms. In addition to the baytril and the metacam the vet gave us hibiscrub to wash him with every day. We then had to dry him carefully and apply a barrier cream to stop him getting sore.

Smudge's infection hasn't really gone away despite a few courses of baytril so he had an ultrasound which showed sludge in his bladder. Hopefully that's not Poppy's problem though it may be worth giving her low calcium veg for a while just in case.

Good luck with Poppy's treatment.

Vegetables like kale, carrot tops, spinach and parsley have high calcium and can lead to a calcium build up in the bladder. I'm not saying that this is your bunnies problem but apparently it's quite common.

The link below on a guinea pig site gives calcium levels for most veg.

http://www.guinealynx.info/diet_vegs.html

One of my foster buns had a bladder infection and Baytril didn't seem to help. In the end they put him on Marbocyl (another antibiotic) and it worked well, May be worth metioning this to vets if she doesn't get any better.

Poppy is doing ok this afternoon - she is back snuggling with Pippin in their hutch - she has been chomping hay and other bits of food so i am pleased - haven't washed her bum yet - will do tomorrow when she is a bit more settled - I have been told johnsons baby shampoo - is that okay for piddly bunny bums ??

Thanks for that i will make a note of that

QUOTE=NLENG2000;3978675]One of my foster buns had a bladder infection and Baytril didn't seem to help. In the end they put him on Marbocyl (another antibiotic) and it worked well, May be worth metioning this to vets if she doesn't get any better.[/QUOTE]

Back