• Forum/Server Upgrade If you are reading this you have made it to the upgraded forum. Posts made on the old forum after 26th October 2023 have not been transfered. Everything else should be here. If you find any issues please let us know.
  • Please Note - Medical Advice

Please keep in mind that posts on this forum are from members of the public sharing personal opinions. It is not a replacement for qualified medical advice from a veterinarian. Many illnesses share similar symptoms but require different treatments. A medical exam is necessary for an accurate diagnosis, without which appropriate treatment cannot be given.

You should always consult your vet before following any suggestions for medication or treatment you have read about. The wrong treatment could make your rabbit worse or mean your vet is unable to give the correct treatment because of drug interactions. Even non prescription drugs can do harm if given inappropriately.

We are very grateful to members who take time to answer other members questions, but please do be clear in your replies that you are sharing personal experience and not giving instructions on what must be done.

Urgent Medical Advice: If you need, or think you might need, urgent medical advice you should contact a vet. If it is out of working hours phone your vet's normal number and there should be an answer phone message with instructions on what to do.

urgent!!! should she be pts NOW?

purplebumble

Warren Veteran
:cry: such a difficult call. bifs been so ill since dying and being brought back wed. they told me to take her home thursday as she was pooping etc.
friday she was doing real well cept still falling over.
overnite early sat morn her poops had got smaller still and i put it down to not enuff feeds or too long a gap. every hr became every 2 then 3 then we fell asleep till midday..omg how could we:cry:

shes been not very warm n floppy since we got her home but friday she was eating apple..dried herbs...dandelions and fighting then taking her feeds.

saturday afternoon onwards....not eating herbs..refused apple.teent bit wholemeal toast..but she did eventually scoff a small handful off grass and smaller dandelions from the garden. Am i wrong as i left them wet.....shes not drinking by herself and spitting out feeds..so i thought rainwatered dandelions and grass were a good idea.

shes on metaclopramide syrup...and metacam 2xdaily........weve given her infacol again..due for next hrs dose..one ml per hr for three hours right?

gods ive only ever seen one bun go like this...her partner we got her for..oscar back in 2006...the only bun ive had die of gut stasis:cry:

bifs bloods wont be back till monday..but sadly i do not think shell be here then.

its 2.32am sunday morning.....nurse n vet said if youre happy to try overnite then do but if she doesnt improve/gets worse then we will have to bring her in to be pts:cry::cry:

she keeps doing little things as if to say..hey im still here..then sinks again.

berties snotty nosed with his pasturella....merlins been confined upstairs....zuzu kittys worried sick bout her "mummy" bif and poor salem who died 3 weeks ago would have slept curled up round her to keep her warm etc.

she wont stay in one place in the pen....right now shes in her hidebox on a fleece rug....but shes sleeping ont he floor all over the pen..in her litter tray briefly.
moving helps the guts right.

but i am lost...wot would you do..wot would you look for?

To be honest i wouldn't have a clue what to do. But i was in a situation where one of my animals was dying, deteriorating, then slowly improving before getting much worse.. And i was desperate for someone just to tell whether to pts or not. So really feel for you, and understand how tremendously hard this is for you. My thought are with you and bif **massive hugs** :( xx I'm sorry i couldn't be much help.

how about putting a towel on a hot water bottle and then sitting her on that to keep her warm? even if you cant save her at least she would be comfortable :cry:

she wont stay put..esp after a feed:(

shes just done two more small clumps of weeny poos..ismoving around a teeny bit.........and even attempting to wash......and i get so excited then she falls over again:cry::cry:

im giving her another hour...perhaps two. Then maybe we will know more..maybe we wont:(

because she died and was brought back....does that mean vetergesic isnt an option for the pain?

I would get her back to the Vet.
She may respond to more treatment but all meds need to be administered via injection and she no doubt needs IV fluids.

Is she on abx ?

I would most certainly expect this to be the case.

Good luck xx

I hope Bif responds to treatment- I agree with Jane, it does sound like she may need to be admitted again xx

I would get her back to the Vet.
She may respond to more treatment but all meds need to be administered via injection and she no doubt needs IV fluids.

I agree with this.

I wasn't sure from what you said whether fluids were being syringed? In my view that's the most important thing.

dont foget baby food is great
the harsh truthis every living thing rallies before they pass
if you trust your vet you may have to go with what they say
if you know she is in pain then you will have to make the hardest decision of your life
the trouble is at times like this you feel powerless
venice

How's she doing now?

I do feel for you. I know when I have a really sick fur child it is one of the rare occasions I wish I had a partner to help with the decisions. I feel so lonely and unsure of what to do. It's scary going through it alone.

I'm off work today if you need a hand with her at all or someone to sit with you sitting with her? Just let me know.

Any improvement? :(
I think she will tell you when she is ready, till then continue as you are, just do all you can to keep her comfortable.
I agree witht he baby food idea, we have that on standby.
We are all here for you whatever you decide. xx

:cry::cry: we took bif into the vets just after midday and she was pts but fought it every second she could. They had to give her 2 jabs then the final one.
She had hidden health probs......very severe......:cry::cry:

Back