• Forum/Server Upgrade If you are reading this you have made it to the upgraded forum. Posts made on the old forum after 26th October 2023 have not been transfered. Everything else should be here. If you find any issues please let us know.

she picked up..now shes dying?..shes been pts :(

purplebumble

Warren Veteran
i should have kept my mouth shut..i txt gem n donna saying how much bif had picked up......was eating dried herbs...bits of apple and accepting her feeds after a struggle and was dunking her tongue in the water bowl for a split second and eating a few weeny strands of hay.
now ive cursed it...shes slid right back.

shes bloated tummywise..im giving her infacol metacam and metaclopramide.
shes very wobbly again and very very weak...........but whilst on the phone to the vets this evening they said i had two options.....bring her in for fluids or have her pts.:( the fluids plus long taxi journey would prob kill her first or maybe not..our descisison.
well we talked about it and whilst we did bif begain sitting in her tray and nibbling a few teeny strands of hay. she is refusing her apple and the herbs which she was on her hind legs begging for early hrs saturday morn.:(
she also ate dandelions yesterday....smallish ones about 6.

so tonight in the dark and pouring rain in me jim jams with just a streetlight i went and picked grass and dandeions..gave some to bertie but four times the amount to bif..shes eaten all the dandelions and the grass.
BUT is spitting out the feeds.
ive mixed a little dole apple puree (no sugar etc) to the cc and she prefers it but now isnt eating that either..just spitting it out.
shes ragdoll like but everynow and then sits and has a wash..even her back feet. shes not warm......wont stay on heat pad etc..but is moving a bit.

im terrified i am so scared im not allowing her to be pts because im hoping against false hope. |cant have her pts incase im wrong as she keeps trying.

her poops are v v tiny and not many.

yes ive tried softened pellets..nothing.

the vet rasped her teeth before coming home thursday evening but she was able to poop black odd shapes bigger than the teeny balls now.
i was hoping it was just her sore mouth..but it could be right?

omg ive lost so many buns over the years..why cant i decide:cry::cry:

how much dandelion and wet grass is too much.....only wet with rain.

Last edited:
I really think she needs to be back at the Vets. Any oral meds are unlikely to be of help to a very poorly Rabbit, she needs them to be administered via injection.
IV fluids are an essential too.

As I said on your thread in 'Health' aswell as the analgesia and gut motility meds I would also expect her to have abx cover in these circumstances.

I do hope she can pull through xx

I'm so sorry to read this. I can fully sypathise as I had exactly the same thing with Angel.

I would agree, from my experience, that fluids are very very important.

How far away is the vets? I would say she need to be hospitalised, personally.

Wishing her every chance of pulling through and sending massive hugs to you :-(

i have heard back from gems vet in emsworth...she wants to charge me out of hours plus non customer fee!!! ive never had to pay that before!!:censored:

then i rang my vets..the hospital is over half/ three quarters of an hour from me......she needs meds etc via her veins.......orals a waste jane i quite agree:(

so no meds but i will try a feed..shes eaten some dandelions and a teeny bit of grass. but shes dying im sure of it:( shes so weak.

gotta do whats best for her:cry::cry:

I certainly wouldn't give up is she is still eating a bit and pooing, I also wouldn't be worrying what she ate at this pioint, because something is better than nothing.
I also agree that antibiotics might be an idea- if she in moving away from the snuggle pad she may feel too hot and this may be down to a fever- has the vet checked her temp at any time. They can feel cold but still have a temp, as I discovered with Jimmy, our cat, on Monday night.

:cry: we went to the emergency vets just after midday and we all found out some horrific things about bifs health nd the fact she was so ill non of realised how.

Apparently she sufferred a heart attack following the GA. the next day ellen took bloods from her and the results were supposed to be back monday...but ellen managed to get access to them today.
When ellen examined her today she found her heartbeat was very slow and erratic.....

her tests showed massive tissue damage.......liver damage......severe anaemia....
and anything else i have forgotten due to the shock.
the tissue damage was probably from the heart attack..the liver damage and anaemia..could have been cancer and if the tests had shown it..theres not much can be done esp this far gone.
i guess the liver damage could also have been from one of her many bouts of gi stasis resulting from having a defective jaw which wasnt spotted by any vets till a year or so ago.
bifs made it to 6 years old....we have had her for four years and 5 months..the oldest bunny i have ever had..and the the longest time ive ever had a bunny:(
berties close second and hes got active pasturella!!

i had to come home and clean and pack away her pen...i did what i could and washed the floor.

in the vets ellen gave bif a jab in her stomach to put her to sleep..but she fought and fought it. shocked ellen had to give her a second jab and she still fought it even tho ellen left her for ages.....
then she shaved her ear and then gave her the final jab...she went right away then. we felt her lift..she fell asleep on her toy lamb and we were still kissing and stroking her even tho shed gone.

i will never forget my very first rescue bun...she changed our lives so very much. small but feisty..well she was a redhead! kind off!!

bif was showing neuro signs at the vets..her head was shaking from side to side and up and down.:cry: i only wished id listened to my innerself last night:cry:

Back