• Forum/Server Upgrade If you are reading this you have made it to the upgraded forum. Posts made on the old forum after 26th October 2023 have not been transfered. Everything else should be here. If you find any issues please let us know.
  • Please Note - Medical Advice

Please keep in mind that posts on this forum are from members of the public sharing personal opinions. It is not a replacement for qualified medical advice from a veterinarian. Many illnesses share similar symptoms but require different treatments. A medical exam is necessary for an accurate diagnosis, without which appropriate treatment cannot be given.

You should always consult your vet before following any suggestions for medication or treatment you have read about. The wrong treatment could make your rabbit worse or mean your vet is unable to give the correct treatment because of drug interactions. Even non prescription drugs can do harm if given inappropriately.

We are very grateful to members who take time to answer other members questions, but please do be clear in your replies that you are sharing personal experience and not giving instructions on what must be done.

Urgent Medical Advice: If you need, or think you might need, urgent medical advice you should contact a vet. If it is out of working hours phone your vet's normal number and there should be an answer phone message with instructions on what to do.

Overweight bun

kayleewoo

Mama Doe
Hi all, wondering if anyone can offer some advice.

I've been giving my little girl a bit less attention than she deserved while my boy was poorly, and she seems to have gotten a bit round. She has never been a particularly energetic bun, and doesn not like moving much (she never has, even before she got porky). I've cut down the amount of pellets she gets, and cut fruit out of her diet for the time being.

Does anyone have any tips for getting her porkyness moving?

Also, while my boy was ill she started urinating on the floor, and she has continued to do this although now she has my full, undivided attention. I've put a litter tray in the place where she likes to pee the most, but she will pee next to it. I have treated the carpet with spray that removes odours and apparently will stop them smelling their scent. Does anyone have any tips? She was always really good with her litter tray, and would previously come and nudge us when she needed the loo. Help!

She hasn't always been overweight, Emily. She used to be quite a picky eater, for example she wouldn't eat spinach if it had got too wet. But now she eats anything. And she's become a piggy with it, she eats all of her food in one sitting, whereas before she would eat a bit and go back to it throughout the day. And the grunting noises when she eats are driving us mad, its like she can't get the food in her furry little chops quick enough.

Back