• Forum/Server Upgrade If you are reading this you have made it to the upgraded forum. Posts made on the old forum after 26th October 2023 have not been transfered. Everything else should be here. If you find any issues please let us know.

Teeth Removal

p_prod_uk

Mama Doe
If an abscess behind the eye is caused by teeth roots growing up, can I assume that the offending teeth with be back teeth?

If so, and we opt to have the teeth removed, how does this impact on the rabbit eating?

Any info/advice greatly received
:wave:

Sorry don't know enough about this to give info, though my guess would be back teeth yes..bumping it for you anyway... :wave:

Hey,

my bun has had around 5 of his back teeth removed. Not due to abcess, but due to other dental problems.

On each occasion when they were removed, he was quite bruised and tender to begin with, so I grated up his veg and used a pestle and mortar to grind up his pellets. After a couple of days he was happy to eat as normal.

Although he's a little slower at eating some things compared to my other buns, you wouldn't know that he'd got hardly any back teeth! :D

My Grimlock has lost loads of his back teeth and one is rotten at the moment. I soak his pellets in water for a few minutes before he has them and he eats like a trooper.

Unfortunately removing back teeth isn't always an option. they have to be pretty loose in the first place to be removed and sometimes the root can get left behind. Also if the bone is infected it can shatter if removal is attempted.

Thanks for the replies folks.

If it is possible to have the teeth removed (should they be causing the problem), is eating hay a problem?

Unfortunately removing back teeth isn't always an option. they have to be pretty loose in the first place to be removed and sometimes the root can get left behind. Also if the bone is infected it can shatter if removal is attempted.

Forgot to mention that. If Grim could have all his teeth out I would jump at the chance as it would practically solve all his problems but it just can't be done as the jaw would probably shatter.

Also it does make eating hay hard and sometimes impossible for the rabbit. This means you end up in a catch 22 situation where they eat less hay which means their teeth get points or spurs and cause more problems etc etc. But it doesn't mean the bun can't be happy. Grimlock is a shining example of this. He loves life, he loves his Smoo wifey bun. He loves oats and soggy pellets (and bread, but don't tell anyone, buns shouldn't eat bread). Even my vet comments on how happy and stress free he is, even after everything. So you can still have a happy bunny.

If there is an abscess in the root it will probably make the tooth wobbly anyway, and the loss of one molar shouldn't stop him eating hay. :)

Good luck.

Back