• Forum/Server Upgrade If you are reading this you have made it to the upgraded forum. Posts made on the old forum after 26th October 2023 have not been transfered. Everything else should be here. If you find any issues please let us know.

Shed Questions

Elena

Wise Old Thumper
Cos let's face it, if I do this I'm going to have SOOOOOO many questions!

So far I have two main questions floating around in my head.

1. Will a 6x4 shed with a 6x4 run made of aviary panels be big enough for one small rabbit (Nutmeg) and one medium sized rabbit (Smudge)?

and

2. How much do I need, as a rough target, to get this done? Would about £400-£500 be enough? I've seen 6x4 tongue and groove sheds with some windows for ventilation for around £200 and roughly £100-£150 for the panels. I have a decent-enough-for-this-purpose hutch that I would put in with a ramp as a place for them to snuggle and also to store supplies on. Cat flap, insulation, base for shed, mesh for top and bottom of run and turf are all other things I'd have to think about.

I'm not even sure where in the garden it would go and if I would feel confident having them outside but I want to be able to answer any questions Dad might have.

Last edited:
If you are using aviary panels it will be easier to make the run 6ft x 6ft since the size of panels is 6ft x 3ft. But yes that sounds fine :)

It sounds about right for the costs, £200 for a shed, £150 for the run. You will probably need a few tins of paint forthe shed too. If you're making the run 6ft x 6ft you can use aviary panels for the roof and bottom of the run too, makes it easier. Turf for inside the run would be about £10 as you only need 1 roll per 3ft x 3ft square and it's about £2.5 each from B&Q

The size sounds fine :)

I think cost varys depending on where you shop. For instance I just got a 6 x 4ft wendyhouse off ebay for £60. Sheds would most likely be more but if you keep looking bargins do pop up now and again :D You ca also buy aviary panels off ebay :)

If you are using aviary panels it will be easier to make the run 6ft x 6ft since the size of panels is 6ft x 3ft. But yes that sounds fine :)

It sounds about right for the costs, £200 for a shed, £150 for the run. You will probably need a few tins of paint forthe shed too. If you're making the run 6ft x 6ft you can use aviary panels for the roof and bottom of the run too, makes it easier. Turf for inside the run would be about £10 as you only need 1 roll per 3ft x 3ft square and it's about £2.5 each from B&Q

Actually I think when I was looking at panels I was thinking in my head 6x6 for some reason. :lol: I think I'll try go with that then. Sounds much better. That would make the total space 6x10. Will have to measure up in the garden. :D

The size sounds fine :)

I think cost varys depending on where you shop. For instance I just got a 6 x 4ft wendyhouse off ebay for £60. Sheds would most likely be more but if you keep looking bargins do pop up now and again :D You ca also buy aviary panels off ebay :)

I'd quite like a shed rather than a playhouse so I can stand up and so that if anything happens and we can't use it for the bunnies for some reason that Dad can still use it for gardening stuff. Hopefully I'll be able to get something for a little more than that. I'll have to save up and then keep an eye out for something in a sale. That's really useful knowing that there are ones on Ebay. :thumb:

If I put £50 a fortnight away I might be able to get something in the Jan sales. (If those sort of places have January sales :lol:)

Last edited:
do you have a freecycle in your area put a wanted notice out i have managed to get loads off ours all for free we also put our unwanted bits on there too its great we had our 7 x 5 shed see my post above pic heavy also we picked up a trixie style 6 sided run a pet carrier and a freezer lol not bunny related but the other thing is look on ebay for sellers near you too i am sure local DIY stores will be selling them off in end of summer sales or at cheaper prices anyway good luck xx

I find Freecycle really hard to keep up with. :oops: I think I'd rather invest in something new that'll last a few years.

I have a quick question about aviary panels. Which ones are the best? The gauge is the main thing that is confusing me. Is a higher number better quality or worse?

A higher guage means a smaller wire. You want 19 guage or lower. 19 Guage is 1mm thick. Most panels will use this but make sure it is galvanised welded mesh rather than chicken wire. Also look at the thickness of the wood, you don't want it too thin or it will bend or be too easy to chew through.

A higher guage means a smaller wire. You want 19 guage or lower. 19 Guage is 1mm thick. Most panels will use this but make sure it is galvanised welded mesh rather than chicken wire. Also look at the thickness of the wood, you don't want it too thin or it will bend or be too easy to chew through.

Thank you!

I've just ordered a 6x4 T&G shed online, its £185 at the moment and free delivery. It looks really good quality and has 3 windows, rather than the usual one that the small sheds seem to have.

The website is www.shedstore.co.uk

Our shed is going onto grass so we need to get some paving slabs for it to sit on as well.

I had a look at shed store. We've decided we need a 6x4 pent shed with the door in the 6 foot bit, ie. inside the aviary as there are two large bushes either side and there won't be room to open the door!

Like this... (excuse my odd shaped bushes, they are bushes rather than trees!)

Shed.jpg

Oh and I have lost it today and started colouring it in. :oops:

Another qu. (cos I wanna add it to the drawing :oops:). Where's best for a cat flap? In the door or in the actual shed part?

Back