• Forum/Server Upgrade If you are reading this you have made it to the upgraded forum. Posts made on the old forum after 26th October 2023 have not been transfered. Everything else should be here. If you find any issues please let us know.

Stopping buns kicking out litter

pigsforlife

Mama Doe
Any tips?

They have recently taken to kicking out their litter - so I am left with a pile of soiled litter sitting on new cream carpet. Not a good mix.

Can't do that as their litter tray sits underneath their hayrack - so it keeps all the hay contained in the one area. Good suggestion though.

don't know but keep trying because i have a nasty wee stain on my carpet and i for one did not do it!

don't know but keep trying because i have a nasty wee stain on my carpet and i for one did not do it!
:lol:

Is the litter tray inside your pen? assuming it is you could put up a clear piece of perspex to keep the litter from flying out.

Get a deeper litter tray! Pea and Pod love to kick all their litter everywhere so I bought an underbed storage box. Even if they push all the litter up to one end, it rarely goes over the edges.

A deepish box and a thick layer of hay stops mine from digging it out. In fact last night I forgot to fill it up with hay and they dug out the megazorb onto the floor.

Same here, I put two layers of hay down and it stops it most of the time. A layer of cheap farm stuff underneath and then some tasty but still cheap stuff on top of that.

Litter tray is inside pen. The cream carpet is actually in their cage - I needed something heavier that they wouldnt dig up and cream was the only colour they had. I was trying to keep it clean for as long as possible :lol:

I might try a deeper litter tray with hay on top. They do pull out a lot of hay from their hayrack into their litter tray, then they kick that all up and shred the newspaper that lines the base of their litter tray. :roll:

Litter tray is inside pen. The cream carpet is actually in their cage - I needed something heavier that they wouldnt dig up and cream was the only colour they had. I was trying to keep it clean for as long as possible :lol:

I might try a deeper litter tray with hay on top. They do pull out a lot of hay from their hayrack into their litter tray, then they kick that all up and shred the newspaper that lines the base of their litter tray. :roll:

I stopped using newspaper cos mine would dig down to reach the newspaper and then shred it. :roll:

I stopped using newspaper cos mine would dig down to reach the newspaper and then shred it. :roll:

I have a feeling this is what they are doing. The only reason I was using newspaper was because a) it made it easier to clean and b) it absorbed a bit more urine (found sometimes that the litter didnt quite absorb all of the urine). Haven't got a new litter tray but havent put paper in the litter trays today. We shall see what happens!

I have a feeling this is what they are doing. The only reason I was using newspaper was because a) it made it easier to clean and b) it absorbed a bit more urine (found sometimes that the litter didnt quite absorb all of the urine). Haven't got a new litter tray but havent put paper in the litter trays today. We shall see what happens!

What litter do you use? I know it's a bit more difficult for you to get hold of stuff over there. I find with Megazorb it kinda spreads so unless it's all wet it spreads to an area that isn't wet, if you catch my drift!

Forgot to say that I have been hunting for an underbed storage container - only problem is finding one that fits. This one is 84cm long ( http://shop.hsw.com.au/index.php?product&id_prod=897&id_cat=4&id_dept=15 ) and the cage is only 75cm wide. If I could find one that fits across the width of their cage, that would be perfect!

That's the problem I had. I eventually found something Could you with something slightly smaller and pack one side with towels?

What litter do you use? I know it's a bit more difficult for you to get hold of stuff over there. I find with Megazorb it kinda spreads so unless it's all wet it spreads to an area that isn't wet, if you catch my drift!

I have been using kitty litter made from 100% recycled paper products. It is something I can get in a larger quantity so works out cheaper. The other option I have that I can get in bulk is shavings, which I have heard isn't all that good for buns plus it is quite dusty and smells quicker. I don't think I can get megazorb here.

That's the problem I had. I eventually found something Could you with something slightly smaller and pack one side with towels?

I am thinking that is what I am going to have to do. Only problem is that those that are smaller often have really high sides! Going to have to go on another mission I think.

Back