• Forum/Server Upgrade If you are reading this you have made it to the upgraded forum. Posts made on the old forum after 26th October 2023 have not been transfered. Everything else should be here. If you find any issues please let us know.
  • Please Note - Medical Advice

Please keep in mind that posts on this forum are from members of the public sharing personal opinions. It is not a replacement for qualified medical advice from a veterinarian. Many illnesses share similar symptoms but require different treatments. A medical exam is necessary for an accurate diagnosis, without which appropriate treatment cannot be given.

You should always consult your vet before following any suggestions for medication or treatment you have read about. The wrong treatment could make your rabbit worse or mean your vet is unable to give the correct treatment because of drug interactions. Even non prescription drugs can do harm if given inappropriately.

We are very grateful to members who take time to answer other members questions, but please do be clear in your replies that you are sharing personal experience and not giving instructions on what must be done.

Urgent Medical Advice: If you need, or think you might need, urgent medical advice you should contact a vet. If it is out of working hours phone your vet's normal number and there should be an answer phone message with instructions on what to do.

after a dental

Georgeypudding

Wise Old Thumper
Mae's going for a molar burring on the 2nd, as she's having an anesthetic im wondering if she has to stay inside over night?
And if i need to give her anything different afterwards or just everything and anything so she eats? Also should i take sebastian to the vets with her and leave them both there?

I believe that the general rule for anasthetics is that as long as the vets see that bun is eating and pooping afterwards then they can go home the same day.
Jimby has his teeth burred consiously so I am not 100% but I think that is what they would do.

I would take them both in, it would be a comfort for her and also it avoids any bond breakage when she comes home smelling different.
In regards to when you get her home, I would just ensure that she is eating, so if she is happier to eat more veg for the days to follow (As long as it does not upset her tummy) then that would be ok, it is best to just keep them eating after a general, as their tummies can slow down as a result.

Peter rabbit had a dental about two weeks ago. Until the day of the op he was living with two girls (Jessica and Chloe). However, I only took Peter to the vets.

He didn't really eat on the day of the op so had to be syringe fed prior to the treatment. He did not poop or wee in the vets, but they gave me recovery food (that had to be syringe fed), zantac (I think this was for gas) and another medication which was a painkiller. He had the op in the morning and I took him home that night. Due to him not toileting, I set up the indoor cage and kept him next to my bed that night. He needed lots of tummy rubs and still wasnt eating, pooping or weeing. (He had started drinking).

I bribed him all day everyday with his favourite treats :oops:- he would only eat the very soft ones for a couple of days. I also chopped up small pieces of his favourite veg - although he only seemed to eat spring greens. Vet said this wasnt a good food though coz it can cause them to be gassy. :oops:

I took him to the vets everyday for 4 days until his pooping and weeing resumed back to normal. During this time he did not live with Jessica and Chloe. There is no way I would have been able to monitor his bowel movements if he had been with them.

He happily moved back in with the girls after he had recovered - 5 nights and 5 days later.

Good luck with the dental.

I would take them together. They'll be a comfort to one another, and this could help to speed up the recovery process. I take Trav in at around 8:15am, they're settled in, fed and watered up to the op. The amount of GA used is minimal, as it's not usually a too long or intense procedure (unlike a spey for example).

I usually call them around 2pm to see how it's gone, and by this point he's usually ready to come home.

I send them of with a pack up for the day. Usually a little veg and some pellets to check he's eating OK.

A dental should not cause discomfort or pain. The teeth are burred down (similar to filing your nails). Therefore, the only thing that should need recovering from is the GA - and possibly feeling a little stiff from them opening the mouth so much.

Therefore, it shouldn't be too much of a disruption to their normal way of life.

The first dental, I would possibly keep them in for one night just so that you can keep an eye on them and monitor how quick the recovery period is. This way you know for future reference.

The only time I've had to change the food I've given is when Trav's had to have a tooth extracted. This has often meant that I've had to grate up his veg for a few days.

If she appears to be a bit bruised or tender, then you can grate up veg and either soak the pellets or use a pestle and mortar to grind them up.

If this is still a problem after 24 - 36 hours, I would take her back to the vets.

Hope it all goes OK for you. :D

Hankyou :) she gets her veg cut up or grated anyway as she has no front teeth :)

I can tell hers and sebastians poo apart so shouldn't be a problem :)

Thanks for the advice again :)

Back