• Forum/Server Upgrade If you are reading this you have made it to the upgraded forum. Posts made on the old forum after 26th October 2023 have not been transfered. Everything else should be here. If you find any issues please let us know.

I just noticed...

donnamt

Wise Old Thumper
in the bunny food diary :oops::oops::oops::oops:

the day before Alvins gut slow down the amount of water drank dropped to 450ml and then on the day it was 400ml its now back up to 600-650ml

wow another subtle sign that i miss with mr tummy :shock::shock:

so from that i reakon Holly is drinking on average 400-450ml and on a good day Alvin gets through 150-200ml on a stasis day 0-50ml :shock::shock:

well i thought it was an interesting indication of a gut slow down :lol::lol::lol::lol::lol::lol:

Thats interesting!
Fudge has a 1.1litre bottle and she gets through that in 5 days!
During her stasis episodes she does drink considerably less! :?

Intriguing, I wonder if he stopped drinking for some reason and that caused the stasis, or if the discomfort of the stasis came first and stopped him drinking.

I'm probably being slow but how do you know how much he's drunk when he's part of a pair?

Intriguing, I wonder if he stopped drinking for some reason and that caused the stasis, or if the discomfort of the stasis came first and stopped him drinking.

I'm probably being slow but how do you know how much he's drunk when he's part of a pair?

its purely guess work.. last time he had stasis his bloods said he was dehydrated and this time the amount drank over 24 hrs dropped by 150ml and the day before the refusal of food it was down by 100ml so if Holly is acting totally normal it has to be Alvins drinking habits that are fluctuating.. so a guess that he drinks 150-200ml is based on the weeks before whats being drunk if that makes sense.

plus Holly deffo drinks more shes at the water bowl loads more times than him

eta- the drop in drinking happened the day before he refused food, so i wonder how many times ive missed that as a sign of gut slow down is coming

I wouldn't worry about having missed it Donna cos now you know and now it's something you can keep an eye on. I think it's very astute of you to have noticed!

Here's to all those wee bubbles flying up the bottle!! I love to see them and hear that little ball bearing rattle!! :lol:

It makes alot of sense Donnamt, & I think it's very useful for us.
Before we all go grey, I think it's important that the bun is on a stable diet & isn't suddenly getting more fluid from veg etc.

I was surprised that buns will drink water when they're hungry but haven't got food.
I assume that when a bun's gut slows down they feel full, & don't want to eat or drink so much = vicious circle & gut slows down more.

I didn't realise that fluid intake dropped as early as that. I'm beginning to understand how some buns can get so dehydrated during stasis.

Thank you very much for this thread - it's very helpful & interesting.

ETA when mu boy is on fresh food he drinks about 100ml per MONTH! :shock::shock:

A good point..one we should all watch out for I reckon.....Its certainly opened my eyes....

even more weird, Alvin has eaten loads of hay and been at the water bowl more over the last 24hrs and the amount gone between the pair was 800ml this morning.. has been very humid here tho :?

even more weird, Alvin has eaten loads of hay and been at the water bowl more over the last 24hrs and the amount gone between the pair was 800ml this morning.. has been very humid here tho :?

I've noticed this sort of thing with my bun. I think that Alvin is trying to stimulate his gut naturally by eating more fiber, to get back on track, & is succeeding. [Better than eating loads of cardboard - :lol:] He'll need more water because of the addtional dry food (hay) & to make up for any recent losses (not drinking enough)

The blip could be caused by heat stress. We can't evaporate water so well to lose heat, (from lungs & sinuses in the case of buns), when humidity is high.

Our buns are bright, & learn what to do to keep themselves well.
I've become quite used to these subtle changes in diet in my bun, which he does to prevent stasis & he's almost always successful!:)
No panic, it's just a case of keeping a quiet eye on things.
A few buns I know have had gut issues over the last week. I don't know why.
Has Alvin finished moulting now?

Here's to all those wee bubbles flying up the bottle!! I love to see them and hear that little ball bearing rattle!! :lol:

You know what, I second this! I love the sound of any of my pets drinking and seeing those bubbles!!! I'm glad to hear the amount they drink maybe an indicator of their health. Unfortunately, Zeke's not stable in the amounts he has, but then, he's a very naughty and cheeky bunny! Also, he's very stubborn. :love::love::love: Love my Zeke! I've had three bunnies and he is by far the most way out personality! :love::love::love::love:

Marie told me that moulting is a significant stress for a bun, & increases their energy requirements by 40%.
One of the things that I noticed with Thumps is that it was a combination of different stress factors in short succession or together (none of which would cause stasis on it's own) which could lead to a downward spiral.
My personal approach was to offer various types of fiber over & above his usual diet, & let him sort himself out. He's actually the expert!!

Back