• Forum/Server Upgrade If you are reading this you have made it to the upgraded forum. Posts made on the old forum after 26th October 2023 have not been transfered. Everything else should be here. If you find any issues please let us know.
  • Please Note - Medical Advice

Please keep in mind that posts on this forum are from members of the public sharing personal opinions. It is not a replacement for qualified medical advice from a veterinarian. Many illnesses share similar symptoms but require different treatments. A medical exam is necessary for an accurate diagnosis, without which appropriate treatment cannot be given.

You should always consult your vet before following any suggestions for medication or treatment you have read about. The wrong treatment could make your rabbit worse or mean your vet is unable to give the correct treatment because of drug interactions. Even non prescription drugs can do harm if given inappropriately.

We are very grateful to members who take time to answer other members questions, but please do be clear in your replies that you are sharing personal experience and not giving instructions on what must be done.

Urgent Medical Advice: If you need, or think you might need, urgent medical advice you should contact a vet. If it is out of working hours phone your vet's normal number and there should be an answer phone message with instructions on what to do.

Titch having problems

Pixsmudge

Young Bun
Hey everyone, I wondered if I could have some advice if you have any.

Titch stopped eating his pellets on my birthday, Tuesday of this week, he was eating veggies still, so to make sure he was eating still i hand fed him his rocket. Wednesday still no pellet eating, he demolished his kale with his normal vigour, but rejected his evening veggies, my mum and I force fed him recovery diet to make sure his stomach couldnt be empty enough for the gut to stop moving. A good friend of mine I went to college with is a veterinary nurse, so I gave her a call and she suspected teeth problems and told me to keep trying to get him to eat and bring him in to the vets in a few days if there was no change.
By yesterday morning he was nibbling on hay, but started rejecting his kale, so i gave my vet a ring as soon as my surgery opened to book him in before he rejected eating everything. His teeth were checked and they're fine, he could feel nothing wrong with his stomach/gut, just said his tummy was empty. He had an injection to keep his gut moving, liquid paraffin to break up any possible blockages and help him whoopsie, he was given more recovery diet and came home with a solution to keep his gut moving which i have to give him three times a day.

He's had herbs, mint, coriander, parsley and his absolute favourite basil, and i've given him dried dandelions, these have been mixed with his hay as well. Got him pooping, after a lot of shameless flopping and sleeping by my feet he spent the evening attacking his meadow hay in particular with an incredible amount of enthusiasm, he ate a few interested mouthfuls of pellets in the evening. This morning he seemed more interested in running around destroying everything than eating, hes nibbled happily on mint, and some coriander, and i've encouraged him with his meadow hay. He's just had a little sitting with his pellets...but I'm still worried he's just not eating enough.
Can any of you think of a way to get him more interested in his pellets? thats the worrying thing. I'm off to Turkey next week, and in typical fashion i'm being pessimistic, sometimes he seems so reluctant to eat, which is so unlike him, hes always been a food hog. He's got three types of hay to browse, but he just seems so much more interested tearing up the carpet, the wallpaper, destroying any paper he can find...can't get my head around how incredibly destructive he's become!

He's bright, and through it all incredibly affectionate, just lays there slobbering over my face, I know i have to be patient and wait for him to respond, but is there any way to encourage him to eat more? any vegetables you've had luck with?anything to encourage the pellet eating?
He needs the hay more than anything, so any fruit or veggies would be little slices to remind him food is damn tasty:)

Sorry for the wafflement, but i'm sure many of you have been through the same thing and understand how frightening it is.
Thank you

He was thoroughly checked, theres no signs of pain. I suppose its possible. The vet said unfortunately these things suddenly happen and theres not always a reason why, his meds are clearly helping him. I haven't heard him grinding his teeth, but few days ago his stomach was making a tiny awful lurching noise, so i'm thinking right now it was the very onset of stasis. The stomach noises weren't happening a lot but they've stopped now.

Back