• Forum/Server Upgrade If you are reading this you have made it to the upgraded forum. Posts made on the old forum after 26th October 2023 have not been transfered. Everything else should be here. If you find any issues please let us know.
  • Please Note - Medical Advice

Please keep in mind that posts on this forum are from members of the public sharing personal opinions. It is not a replacement for qualified medical advice from a veterinarian. Many illnesses share similar symptoms but require different treatments. A medical exam is necessary for an accurate diagnosis, without which appropriate treatment cannot be given.

You should always consult your vet before following any suggestions for medication or treatment you have read about. The wrong treatment could make your rabbit worse or mean your vet is unable to give the correct treatment because of drug interactions. Even non prescription drugs can do harm if given inappropriately.

We are very grateful to members who take time to answer other members questions, but please do be clear in your replies that you are sharing personal experience and not giving instructions on what must be done.

Urgent Medical Advice: If you need, or think you might need, urgent medical advice you should contact a vet. If it is out of working hours phone your vet's normal number and there should be an answer phone message with instructions on what to do.

Spay wound

vee-jay

Mama Doe
Hi,
So I got one of my girls spayed last thursday. She was drinking the same day and was eating like normal the next, bounced right back.
Anyway I found her today with her wound open a little:?
Think i might take her to teh vets tonight, but i was wodnering if it normally looks like that and will heal normally, or if it actually needs treatment
IMG_9434.jpg

IMG_9433.jpg

IMG_9435.jpg

Charlee pulled her stitches out after about 3 days, then about a week after her spay did mad zoomies around her pen. As a result her wound opened a little. I took her back to the vet. They decided that as it was scabbing over, and the skin had sewn together that there was no point putting new stitches in. Plus she would just pull them back out. We just had to watch her and put a little savalon on it everyday.

When Peach was spayed she had 3 staples, not stitches, as the vet said rabbits were prone to licking stitches out. He'd not reckoned with Peach though, who'd pulled all three stitches out within 24 hours. I rang him in a panic but he said not to worry, but just bring her back on Monday (it was, by now, Saturday) for more. I was worried over the weekend about her, especially since she refused to stay in the dog cage so hid under my bed, but still went through to the lounge to use her litter tray. But she was fine. She had 5 staples in on the Monday but the vet said rabbits heal very quickly so it wasn't totally necessary.

Therefore don't panic. She'll rpobably be fine (though wise to get her checked out anyway).

M

I'd get her checked personally :) They use this special glue to hold the skin together, she could need that. Brings me back to when I had Smudge spayed, the day after she was rushed back to the vets because overnight she ripped all her stitches out! Sent me into a right panic! The vets said they'd never seen a bunny heal so fast, her wound was open but not properly open if you get me? Anyway she had glue, and had to have a little collar because she just couldn't leave her tummy alone bless her. She was back up there a few days later, liquidy lumps under the site, they couldn't work out what was wrong, she went back under..turns out girly was allergic to her internal stitches! Hoping all goes smoothly with your little miss:D

Back