• Forum/Server Upgrade If you are reading this you have made it to the upgraded forum. Posts made on the old forum after 26th October 2023 have not been transfered. Everything else should be here. If you find any issues please let us know.
  • Please Note - Medical Advice

Please keep in mind that posts on this forum are from members of the public sharing personal opinions. It is not a replacement for qualified medical advice from a veterinarian. Many illnesses share similar symptoms but require different treatments. A medical exam is necessary for an accurate diagnosis, without which appropriate treatment cannot be given.

You should always consult your vet before following any suggestions for medication or treatment you have read about. The wrong treatment could make your rabbit worse or mean your vet is unable to give the correct treatment because of drug interactions. Even non prescription drugs can do harm if given inappropriately.

We are very grateful to members who take time to answer other members questions, but please do be clear in your replies that you are sharing personal experience and not giving instructions on what must be done.

Urgent Medical Advice: If you need, or think you might need, urgent medical advice you should contact a vet. If it is out of working hours phone your vet's normal number and there should be an answer phone message with instructions on what to do.

Rabbit ill ?

scojototo

New Kit
hi, i have a 4 year old rabbit, she has recently stopped eating and been very quiet, she is usually very energetic, i have had her at the doctors and he gave her some medacine and sayd she should be fine, i have since noticed that she is drowling and still no eating, this is coming up for around the 4th day with no food now, can i force her to eat, any help would be greatly appreciated thanks

hi, i have a 4 year old rabbit, she has recently stopped eating and been very quiet, she is usually very energetic, i have had her at the doctors and he gave her some medacine and sayd she should be fine, i have since noticed that she is drowling and still no eating, this is coming up for around the 4th day with no food now, can i force her to eat, any help would be greatly appreciated thanks

Drooling would usually indicate a problem inside her mouth...usually overgrown teeth.

Not eating is definitely a medical emergency, and you really need to find a vet who will take this seriously if your vet doesn't seem concerned.

If you post what area you're in, somebody might be a able to suggest a good rabbit savvy vet.

It sounds like she has ilues which I assume your vet is treating, but the drooling would indicate this was brought on by a problem with her teeth. Has a vet checked them?

Welcome, and im sorry your bun isnt well. :(

You really need to get her to a rabbit savvy vet immediately. If Rabbits don't eat, they go into something called Stasis, where their guts shut down. Rabbits don't show illness very clearly, so until you get her to a vet for pain meds and a gut stimulant you wont be able to force her i doubt as pain meds are extremely important.

There could be an underlying cause to the stasis, but your first thing to do is to get her to a vets this afternoon. If she hasn't eaten for 4 days, you are very lucky she has not already got much worse.

If she has any favourite herbs or foods she likes, you can try her on those, parsley, coriander, mint or dandelions seem to be a favourite.

Let us know how she gets on.

hi, i am from fife in scotland, he checked the teeth yesterday and said they were fine, but still a bit worried just with the fact she has not eating.

to be honest cant really read the mans writing looks like it says bay tnl, if thats any help, to be givin oral, 0.5ml once daily

to be honest cant really read the mans writing looks like it says bay tnl, if thats any help, to be givin oral, 0.5ml once daily

So that'll be baytril, which i thought was an anti-biotic.

Is there anything that says metacam on it?

Probably baytril which wont help - As graham said its an antibiotic.

She needs pain meds such as metacam and a gut stimulant such as zantac or metaclopromide.

I'm not convinced your vet is vet rabbit savvy, where are you based?

Probably baytril which wont help - As graham said its an antibiotic.

She needs pain meds such as metacam and a gut stimulant such as zantac or metaclopromide.

I'm not convinced your vet is vet rabbit savvy, where are you based?

Fife in scotland

Goodness, if your rabbit hasn't eaten for 4 days, it really is an emergency situation.

Is it just the Baytril she is on? As Graham said, it's an antibiotic. Do you know why she is on it?

I would have thought she needed to be given a drug which stimulates her gut and pain relief. I take it she's not producing any poops?

You really need to take her back to the vet and stress to them that she hasn't eaten for 4 days.

There are a few members in Fife, I think, and there's a rabbit rescue as well - if you post a thread in Rabbit Chat asking for a rabbit-savvy vet there, you should be able to find someone who is better able to treat your rabbit.

But I wouldn't wait - you need to contact your vet again ASAP.

hi, thanks for the feedback, just back from the original vets again, wont be back there with any off my pets thats for sure, have an appointment with another vets at 4.10 so fingers crossed,

Good luck with your new vet. I think you really need a rabbit savvy vet to help you out with this. Hope all goes well and you get some advice and new meds for your bun.

hi, thanks for the support, vet very helpful, was told she would need to stay in over weekend, on way home got the fone call, that when tried to treat her but she had a seizure and had passed away. like to thank every one who helped

hi, thanks for the support, vet very helpful, was told she would need to stay in over weekend, on way home got the fone call, that when tried to treat her but she had a seizure and had passed away. like to thank every one who helped
Oh no, I'm so sorry to hear this. :(

Back