• Forum/Server Upgrade If you are reading this you have made it to the upgraded forum. Posts made on the old forum after 26th October 2023 have not been transfered. Everything else should be here. If you find any issues please let us know.

Abscesses - anyone experienced this?

Hugo's There

Wise Old Thumper
As some of you may know Leela has a constantly weeping eye, which cannot bath every single day as it makes it worse, see thread http://forums.rabbitrehome.org.uk/showthread.php?t=222702&highlight=Leela

Last night when i was cleaning her up i found a lump at the side of her top lip where her whiskers are. I am 99% sure it is an abscess.

I was thinking that the gunk from her eyes have infected her whisker follicles :? Do you think this is a possibility? I can't imagine it is dental as she has never had any problems with her teeth and it is not quite in the right place.

We have an appointment in the morning. I am praying she wont need a GA as there is no way she would survive, her lungs are completely wrecked :(

I'll take that as a no then :lol:

Well it is definitely an abscess. Her whisker fell out when I looked at it today and I managed to get some seriously thick pus out of it :( She was such a good girl as she is in an awful lot of pain :cry:

I didn't see your original post Liz...but can I just ask if it's a proper abscess or just a pustule type sore?

I've seen the latter on a couple of my rabbits willys, and they are always fine as long as the pus is squeezed out and an antiseptic applied...I guess a similar thing could happen with an infected whisker folicle?

The alternative could be that she has an internal abscess whch has sent out fingers of infection which are popping up on her face? :?

What treatment is she on?

Her whole face is very sore so I am not sure exactly what is going on at the moment. I am hoping it is just a surface thing but her eye does seem more bulging than usual :? It only appeared yesterday so we haven't see the vet yet, she has an appointment in the morning.

She is on long term metacam for the severe inflammation in her lungs and has antibiotics on and off when the infection becomes active, but she isn;t on them at the moment

If she has a generalised Pasteurellosis (assuming her lung problems and gunky eye are infection/post infection scaring related) then abscesses can pop up anywhere.

I would *think* it to be more likely that infection is being transmitted in her bloodstream rather than from the ocular discharge :?. If she caught her face with a hind foot toenail whilst having a scratch she is probably more likely to get an abscess from just a minor wound.

Hope I am totally wrong though !! Lots of 'no abscess' vibes being sent xx

If she has a generalised Pasteurellosis (assuming her lung problems and gunky eye are infection/post infection scaring related) then abscesses can pop up anywhere.

I would *think* it to be more likely that infection is being transmitted in her bloodstream rather than from the ocular discharge :?. If she caught her face with a hind foot toenail whilst having a scratch she is probably more likely to get an abscess from just a minor wound.

Hope I am totally wrong though !! Lots of 'no abscess' vibes being sent xx

That sounds more plausible. She has had pasteurellosis since being a baby, all her litter mates died of it. She is now 20 months and TBH outlived all expectation.

When I noticed it yesterday there was a very tiny dried blood scab on the top of the abscess so it seems likely that there could have been a small scratch there :? Because the scab was at the base of a whisker and it is where all the gunk from her eye ends up I just wondered if it was an infected follicle.

Either way it is an abscess so we will have to wait and see what the vet thinks tomorrow

Woodie has had two abcesses removed from his front lip in the same place - the first about 2 years ago, the second 6months ago. Vet thought they were probably caused by minor injuries- the second one was shortly after a failed bond. It did require a G.A. which he was fine with.
Lots of vibes for your poorly bun

I hope it is just a blocked whisker follicle, but the bulging eye does kind of lean more towards it being an abscess, if it is an abscess then they can sometimes be treated with the need for an op, Joejoe had an inoperable one behind his eye and it was treated with intensive depocillin injections with baytril too. Whatever the outcome i hope little Woodie is ok x

In case anyones interested Leela's abscess seems to be doing pretty well. There was not as much pus today as yesterday. It is so painful for her yet she is being so terribly brave :love:

P8220694.jpg

P8220697.jpg

P8220698.jpg

Its actually pretty good, the skin around her eye is dry and looks healthy at the moment. It can get very damp and sore. It does make her look a bit like a plucked chicken though!

Back