• Forum/Server Upgrade If you are reading this you have made it to the upgraded forum. Posts made on the old forum after 26th October 2023 have not been transfered. Everything else should be here. If you find any issues please let us know.

Exercise in the Winter

nik106

Warren Scout
Hi everyone,

Hoping you can advise me the best course of action. My little bun only has a hutch and half an out door run, so at the moment she's either free-ranging or coming in (or letting herself in) the house with us.

But i'm worried about what to do in the winter. I've seen various bits of advice about not letting them on wet grass or out in the rain as they can take awhile to dry and can get sick quite quickly and also about how you shouldn't bring them in and take them back out constantly in cold weather because of their winter coat not developing properly out of confusion....

So what do i do about exercise over the winter months when the weather is rubbish?

Can you whack a cover over the run?

I have buns out in the pouring rain, but just fit some wooden boards over the mesh to keep some of the rain off

My buns will be out for the first time this winter so indoor exercise will be restriicted, but they will have their shed & 24/7 access to the aviary run - I am gonna stick a couple of hutches in the run aswell, in case they prefer that to the shed (they better not - cost me a bomb!!)

I guess i could cover the run. The run is big enough, or will be if it ever gets finished, to put the hutch in, it just takes up lots of space

Louie goes out 365 days a year in sun, rain and snow. Must admit, it's like a fridge in our house in winter when we open the door for him and leave it open so he can come and go as he pleases :lol::lol:

I've never had an issue with a healthy rabbit getting wet!

I think mostly wet grass is a real problem if they're not really used to grass at all. If your bun goes out daily, I think I'd be tempted to continue with that routine unless she starts showing signs of an upset tummy. If she's eating grass every day anyway, her tummy should be ok at processing it if it's a bit wet.

I should think she'll be alright coming into the house for an hour or two as well. So long as she spends most of her time outside where she'll keep her winter coat. :wave:

I think getting wet is only really a huge problem if the bun then has nowhere sheltered and draught free to dry off in afterwards. Although Alfie and Bubbles seem to detest the rain and usually find things to hide under while they're freeranging, so as not to get too wet. :lol::lol:

Wet grass however is fine (my two would never be allowed out otherwise as our grass is wet all winter :lol:) as long as they can get off the grass if they wish ie. a little chair or stool etc.

I think bringing them indoors is a bigger risk. They either won't develop a winter coat properly (but they would have to be indoors a good proportion of each day I think) or, more likely, would overheat because it would be like us sitting indoors wearing full outdoor clothing.

my blackie go"s under the shed in the rain i cant keep him inside he gos nuts paceing
up and down hes out rain and shine he hasnt been in the snow yet :lol:

My lot have access to the outside during daylight regardless of weather. Their secure run has a roof but the extension for when I'm at home doesn't and they sit out in all weathers.

Inky loves the rain (he does his 'Please sponsor a poor wet rabbits for £5 a month impression) and Smokey loves snow! The only time I stop them going out is if we have hail but that's not often.

I do dry them off before I shut them in a night if they are wet but they don't seem bothered.

Back