• Forum/Server Upgrade If you are reading this you have made it to the upgraded forum. Posts made on the old forum after 26th October 2023 have not been transfered. Everything else should be here. If you find any issues please let us know.
  • Please Note - Medical Advice

Please keep in mind that posts on this forum are from members of the public sharing personal opinions. It is not a replacement for qualified medical advice from a veterinarian. Many illnesses share similar symptoms but require different treatments. A medical exam is necessary for an accurate diagnosis, without which appropriate treatment cannot be given.

You should always consult your vet before following any suggestions for medication or treatment you have read about. The wrong treatment could make your rabbit worse or mean your vet is unable to give the correct treatment because of drug interactions. Even non prescription drugs can do harm if given inappropriately.

We are very grateful to members who take time to answer other members questions, but please do be clear in your replies that you are sharing personal experience and not giving instructions on what must be done.

Urgent Medical Advice: If you need, or think you might need, urgent medical advice you should contact a vet. If it is out of working hours phone your vet's normal number and there should be an answer phone message with instructions on what to do.

Rex rabbits

rabbitdan

Mama Doe
im planning on getting a rex rabbit in the coming weeks. I know they can get sore hocks, but i dont know how to prevent it, could someone tell me please. and any other 'problems' that rex rabbits have

:wave:

I have 2 rexes and I'm worried about the same thing. Mine are on a fairly thick layer of megazorb on top of newspaper, with hay on top of that. They are on grass all day.
My understanding is you need to keep them on a thick layer of somehting soft (not shavings or sawdust), make sure they don't get overweight and keep their nails trimmed because those things affect the way they carry their weight and how they sit.
Both mine have tiny bald spots (totally paranoid and I keep checking them :oops:) but not sores. theres a good article in the newest RWA magazine on sore hocks - worth subscribing if you don't already.
Hope that helps but somebody more knowledgeable will be able to help you more i think.
Good luck with the rexes - they are SOOO gorgeous :love:

PS what colour?

My Sparkle was a Rex Rabbit, he never had sore feet and I didn't have clue, he was kept clean though ;)

would it be ok to keep a rex on vet bed?

Not really. Vet bed can actually be quite abrasive. The best bedding for rexes is newspaper covered with a deep layer of hay.

really? i would rather walk on vet bed bare foot than hay!

how much hay is deep?

I only got a couple of mini rexs just over a week ago, so I'm by no means an expert. But since Jack's Jane pointed out to me about bedding them on hay, I put enough down that when you press your hand on top of it you can feel it give way, and not feel the bottom of the hutch too easily.

I suppose in English it must be about an inch and a half to two inches deep.

Though I have noticed Cherry likes to scrap the hay up and lay on the bare newspaper :roll:

Last edited:
Back