• Forum/Server Upgrade If you are reading this you have made it to the upgraded forum. Posts made on the old forum after 26th October 2023 have not been transfered. Everything else should be here. If you find any issues please let us know.

How to catch a rabbit!?

Beatrix Potter

Mama Doe
I could do with taking both my wildie and my rescue bun to the vets today....but picking Spudsey up and putting her in the carrier is always a right pain (sometimes takes me up to an hour! :shock::oops:) any tips!? shes a right monkey and will stand up on her back legs in pounce mode......I haven't got much room to manuvere myself in either!

Put the carrier out with something tasty in it and wait til she goes in. Works a treat for my male, he's so curious and always eating!

I discovered by accident that turning the microwave on helps.... I was cooking the other night and she was in the kitchen with me. She sat so still that i felt bad and went to pick her up to take her out.... normally she's off like a shot until she's ready but she just sat there and snuggled in when i was holding her.

i don't have this problem, when outdoors even at my nan's locksley is a complete angel :love:

when rosie was in her older years, last 3years i could even just walk up and pick her up :love:

when her and mowgli where young they had me running in circles, like they where laughingat me, mowgli was worse he just stayed out in the rain and refused to want to come home from nans :lol:

My Spenser hates being picked up, and at the moment he travels from hutch to run by carrier as I have my right arm in a sling. I do find it is easier to manouevre him in to the carrier if either of my parents can hold the carrier while I shoo him in the right direction. He shows no signs of stress in the carrier, so I'm pretty sure he thinks the catching process is a game! :wave:

With Maia, I always have the carrier in her room so she is used to it and can sniff it as she pleases. When I open it, she will often go there on her own just by curiosity. Some treats in the carrier work pretty well.

Throw a small blanket over them, pick them up and into the carrier. Take the blanket out and put it over the top of the carrier so they are in the dark again.

Throw a small blanket over them, pick them up and into the carrier. Take the blanket out and put it over the top of the carrier so they are in the dark again.

Haven't tried that, but sounds a great time-saver! :wave:

Ooh that might be a good idea, as long as it doesn't stress them out at all? Didn't go to the vets after all today which was a bit of a pain as I was at home all day...will try and book the latest possible appointment on tuesday so I have plenty of time when I get home from work to grab her! Shes an absolute nightmare you wouldn't believe how quick she is at flying back out of her carrier when you go to shut the door!

My two dont mind being picked up, they dont even try to run away! However, if you try to hold them to you and cuddle them they squirm like a fish. Yet they dont mind me carrying them around, held at their middle or me picking them up to check their bums.:lol:

Back