• Forum/Server Upgrade If you are reading this you have made it to the upgraded forum. Posts made on the old forum after 26th October 2023 have not been transfered. Everything else should be here. If you find any issues please let us know.

Vegetables for Rabbits

mollyjoker

Mama Doe
I usually give my 2 ,Spring Greens and a small amount of carrot.Sometimes Broccoli.Does anyone else have any other good reccomendations:wave:

I don't no wether you wan't all of these suggestions as they are not a vegtables, but mine have--
Greens
Carrots
Bannanas
Baby sweecorn
Toast
(grass)
Apple
Fresh plants like the stems of some thistles-- they love them ! :O
BTW- i don't give these all to them everyday, they have them as treats ;)

Umm i tried them with celery, it wan't there in the moring so i take it they ate it lol

Apparently you can also give them strawberries, tomatoes, and grapes, but i am yet to try these on my lot :roll:

someone will know the handy link...

There's a handy link to a list of bunny-friendly veg and weeds - someone will be along shortly who knows it, I'm sure.

If there's a keen gardener near you they may be glad to pass onto you some weeds - dandelions, sow-thistles, groundsel, chick-weed and bobbies-buttons. There are more, too. Our buns especially like the first 3 of these. If people do pass weeds on to you make sure they are still fresh when given - if they've gone off a bit they can cause tummy upsets.

Also any prunings from apple or pear trees.

Fruit-wise buns love apple and pear as treats, but not soft fruit or tomatoes, whereas our guinea-pigs do love strawberries (including the hulls) and tomatoes. But fruits are a bit sugary, so only suitable as small treats.

Any of the brassica family (cabbage, cauliflower, brocoli, spring greens, sprouts and sprout stems) are fine, but be careful in case your buns tums are sensitive to them - increase from small quantities until you are sure, and never give a lot because they are a bit gassy.

Sudden changes in diet are bad for buns.

We find ourselves planning our own veg intake around the buns - combinations that will keep the buns well supplied with our peelings, off-cuts etc. And on holiday it seems unnatural to throw away veg offcuts!

Enjoy.

Mine eat:
Celery
Tomatoes
Banana
Corriander
Mint
Cabbage
Spring greens
Dandelions
Clover
Grass
Bramble leaves
Apple
Broccoli
Carrot

Erm......

Mine get spring greens and swede as their main veg then get whatever other off cuts we have or get donated from next door! love my neighbours!!:D

My bunny like rocket and has been known to accept small florets of cauliflower. His favourites are curly kale and parsley, but they are too high in calcium to be given regularly. :wave:

Thanks for all your advice.
I do give them a small bit of banana as a treat.
They can smell it and start tugging my trousers
They do free range everyday and enjoy the garden weeds and plants
especially dandelion leaves in between digging their way to Australia!!!

Back