• Forum/Server Upgrade If you are reading this you have made it to the upgraded forum. Posts made on the old forum after 26th October 2023 have not been transfered. Everything else should be here. If you find any issues please let us know.

Help needed-hutch/shed....

rach-louise

Young Bun
Ok i have been looking for some weeks now into getting Buns or Guinea Pigs but i really want to sort out hutches etc.-
These are the options i have

* We have a 6x4 shed that can be used however it is in a gap next to a fence and 2 brick built sheds-so no run can be attached. Do i add a hutch inside the shed or just have the shed? I will only get a 4ft hutch in there othwise there will be no room left?:? They would have to have a seperate run down the garden.

* We have a 7x5 two story playhouse(that our kids use!) So we could put 5ft hutch inside on one side(so hutch opens inwards to playhouse-can't fit a bigger hutch as the stairs are in the way) and put a cat flap to outside where we could attatch a run-however the hutch would be smaller that the 6x2x2 that is recommended?

* Or we just buy a hutch with run attached for £150-£200?

* Or we keep our eyes peeled for smaller playhouse to put by the one we already have? Looked in FOCUS today and it was £176 for a 4x4:? which seemed a lot.

I'm getting really confused now as i want to have the biggest space for the least amount of money by using what we already have. I am liking the idea of a shed as it's bigger than a hutch and i won't get soaked in the rain in the winter when cleaning them out!
The idea of adding to the kids playhouse i like as we can all go and sit in the playhouse with them and they can have a run around inside.

I don't what the best set up would be? Any ideas?? The buns would also have free range time in the garden as it is an enclosed garden.

Thanks

Can you show us some pics of how your garden is set up and we may be able to suggest something?

I like the idea of a 6x4 shed, ideally though it would be best to have a run area attached. You wouldn't really need a hutch if you used the shed...just place a bed area and litter tray area where you would like them to go. You could put the buns in a run during the day (nice weather permitting) and in the shed during the night.

I don't think a 5ft hutch it bad so long as there is 24/7 access to a run area...but would you want to compromise your kids playhouse space?

I have just finished a 4x4 playhouse and 6x4 run area for my buns...its so much better than a hutch...especially where cleaning out etc etc is concerned :)

I would go for the shed or playhouse option (ideally the playhouse option...or a new shed with a run area).

Back