• Forum/Server Upgrade If you are reading this you have made it to the upgraded forum. Posts made on the old forum after 26th October 2023 have not been transfered. Everything else should be here. If you find any issues please let us know.
  • Please Note - Medical Advice

Please keep in mind that posts on this forum are from members of the public sharing personal opinions. It is not a replacement for qualified medical advice from a veterinarian. Many illnesses share similar symptoms but require different treatments. A medical exam is necessary for an accurate diagnosis, without which appropriate treatment cannot be given.

You should always consult your vet before following any suggestions for medication or treatment you have read about. The wrong treatment could make your rabbit worse or mean your vet is unable to give the correct treatment because of drug interactions. Even non prescription drugs can do harm if given inappropriately.

We are very grateful to members who take time to answer other members questions, but please do be clear in your replies that you are sharing personal experience and not giving instructions on what must be done.

Urgent Medical Advice: If you need, or think you might need, urgent medical advice you should contact a vet. If it is out of working hours phone your vet's normal number and there should be an answer phone message with instructions on what to do.

Spineproblems

Dollie

Warren Scout
My friends bunny Max, a three year old German Lop, has had several problems since she bought him about four months ago. Gas, molar spurs (twice!!) and some problems with his bladder. He had a urinary infection, was treated for that but still he wet himself from time to time. An ultrasound of his blatter didn't show any real problems, just a little little bit of sludge. His diet, which was not very high on calcium already, was adjusted. The problem didn't go away..

Last week he was all wet again, so my friend went to the vet again. He clearly had pain when his back was examined so the next day they took an xray:

Normall bunnyspine:

konront1.jpg

Max:

foto%20max1.bmp.jpg

foto%20max12.JPG

(There are problems with all the spaces between the (? sorry do'nt know the word) but I only circled one of them..) At the beginning of the spine, there is not enough space between the (?) and at the end, there is too much. Also, the space is not even. It's a "V".

Is there anyone who can tell us a bit more about this?

Last edited:
It sounds like spondylosis to me which is where the vertebrae start to fuse together. This can be painful and the bunny may need long term pain relief. It is possible the spine is putting pressure on the bladder which is causing the incontinence, I am not sure anything can be done about this, it is probably just a case of manging the problem.

As the condition progresses it can cause mobility problems in the hind legs.

I hope that helps a little

I think it's not spondylosis.. But I'm not sure. Literally translated the condition is called "lumbar narrowing of the vertebrae" but I'm not sure that's what you call it in English. We were just hoping we could find some people with experience with this condition (in rabbits), we can't find any information about it at all, not online.

We know what it is and that it caused the incontinence, Max is now getting painkillers twice aday for two weeks so my friend can learn what he behaves like when he has no pain. We're hoping that that way she can learn to recognize when he is in pain so he doesn't need painkillers 24/7. Also he'll be getting a hutch with only one level so he doesn't have to jump or walk stairs.

But still, thanks for your reply!

I can't see any evidence of intervertebral disc space narrowing or irregularity but the pics are not the same size and clarity as the original radiographs so won't show the same degree of detail of these small structures. Unfortunately Xrays cannot show the details of the soft tissues of the intervertebral discs and spinal cord.
Typically hindlimb weakness and paralysis is also seen in cases that show urinary incontinence as the nerve fibres to the hind legs are compressed by a displaced disc before the bladder nerves due to their vulnerable position in the spinal cord. If there is no hind limb weakness and only incontinence there is a possibility of a single nerve being compressed by disc changes as it leaves the spinal cord but other factors including E.cuniculi infection and inflammatory diseases of the bladder are more common. An MRI would help delineate soft tissues (especially of the spinal cord) to try and pin down whether central nervous system damage was actually present and if so, exactly where it is and whether surgical or medical treatment is more appropriate.

You really can't see it? Okay.. Even in this size I can see the difference between the healthy bunny and Max but maybe that's because I have seen the "real" photo's.

Anyway, he has no problems with his hind legs and E. cuniculi has been ruled out. He is not incontinent all the time, only when his back hurts more than normall. The severest abnormality is around his kidneys and the vertabra pushes on his nerves (not all the time, but with certain movements) it gives him so much pain he just lets the urine go..

If our vet is right (and although not every vet knows enough about rabbits, unfortunately, we know this is a good one) then there is no need to do an MRI or whatever because he's already diagnosed. We were just hoping to find someone who can tell us a bit more about having a bunny with such problems and how to deal with it..

(I'm sorry, I hope you all understand what I'm trying to say.. But at school they don't teach us to talk about sick bunnies so I'm having a hard time translating haha.)

You really can't see it? Okay.. Even in this size I can see the difference between the healthy bunny and Max but maybe that's because I have seen the "real" photo's.

Anyway, he has no problems with his hind legs and E. cuniculi has been ruled out. He is not incontinent all the time, only when his back hurts more than normall. The severest abnormality is around his kidneys and the vertabra pushes on his nerves (not all the time, but with certain movements) it gives him so much pain he just lets the urine go..

If our vet is right (and although not every vet knows enough about rabbits, unfortunately, we know this is a good one) then there is no need to do an MRI or whatever because he's already diagnosed. We were just hoping to find someone who can tell us a bit more about having a bunny with such problems and how to deal with it..

(I'm sorry, I hope you all understand what I'm trying to say.. But at school they don't teach us to talk about sick bunnies so I'm having a hard time translating haha.)

You are doing great !!

As for caring for the Bunny. Well if an anti-inflammatory controls the pain and inflammation and lessens the frequency of the loss of bladder control then he could remain on it longterm. Obviously as with any longterm medication there will be risks, but IMO it is quality of life that is of most importance. I wonder if acupuncture might be a helpful complimentary treatment here :? My Vet uses acupuncture. I have seen animals who have come in completely off their hind legs and after an hour 'under' acupuncture they have walked out of the door !! If I had not seen it with my own eyes I would not have believed it.

See thát's what we're looking for! I have no idea if it's an option and if my friend considers it as an option, but still.. I don't think we would have thought of that. Thanks!

Back