• Forum/Server Upgrade If you are reading this you have made it to the upgraded forum. Posts made on the old forum after 26th October 2023 have not been transfered. Everything else should be here. If you find any issues please let us know.

Just turned Ralph over and he started choking :(

Candiflare

Mama Doe
I went out to check the buns before bed just now and I could only do it by torchlight, so propped the torch up on top of the hutch and gave them all a bum check. They all hated it but it was fine until I got to Ralph and when held him up to the torch with him bum to the light he started choking :(:(:(

Iquickly turned him back up right and he was fine again, but I don't understand what happened :? :( :( :(

Is it possible he had some uneaten food in his mouth?
Is he a dental bunny?
Are his caecotroph issues sorted out now?

I agree he may have had food in his mouth.
You will need to keep a VERY close eye on him as if he aspirated anything he as at risk of developing aspiration pneumonia

As I couldn't see him before I lifted him up to the torch, it was very possible he was eating something before I turned him over :shock: Poor Ralphles!

He seems fine now luckily.

For the moment, all his health issues have been resolved and I haven't seen any diarrhea or bouts of stasis for a couple of months...

Poor Ralph.

Awww, poor Ralphie, I hope he stays ok!! Have you never thought of getting outside lights..... solar ones are nice, I used to have like a strand of lights.... a bit like christmas lights? But only white and meant for outdoors, they were attached to the outside of the hutch and meant I could see the buns in the dark (and any snails on the floor!) They're really good and usually reduced after Christmas :p

is there anything I should be looking out for?

I've only seen this twice, my own bun with a partly blocked oeophagus, & pretty lupin's Poppy.
Both buns had a faint wheeze, & partly blocked their oesophagus, showing as a spasm of the head to 1 side when they swallowed. I can't remember when Poppy had a course of ABx. Both buns were fine.

I'm not very good at finding threads. PL doesn't have many.

You're looking for an obviously sick bun, with rapid breathing at rest, sometimes rattly.
I'd have Ralph checked out tomorrow by a bunny savvy vet.
ETA the thread is http://forums.rabbitrehome.org.uk/showthread.php?t=201375
I know the symptoms are slightly different, but our worry with Poppy was aspiration pneumonia. She got a shock while holding food in her mouth!

Last edited:
Back