• Forum/Server Upgrade If you are reading this you have made it to the upgraded forum. Posts made on the old forum after 26th October 2023 have not been transfered. Everything else should be here. If you find any issues please let us know.

OAP ratties

touie

Wise Old Thumper
Took a few pics of my old boys today in their retirement home! They are all aged between 25 and 34 months now! If anyone has any more cage ideas for oldies I would love to know :wave:

Apollo and Zeus
IMG_9151.jpg

IMG_9154.jpg

Louis and Ando who aren't so mobile any more and don't always make it right into their beds!
IMG_9152.jpg

IMG_9156.jpg

IMG_9153.jpg

and their cage, it is only Apollo and Zeus that can still climb into the higher hammocks!
IMG_9149.jpg

Aww:love:

One of my guys is getting on a bit - but only in his body, not in his mind!

You could try putting a low level platform in there with a gentle slope to get up to it, but it depends on their mobility levels as to whether they'll be able to go up it or not. Only solid ladders though, not ones with rungs unless you wrap a tea towel or somthing around it, otherwise their feet can fall through and they end up stuck!

xxx

Aaaaw, they are lovely. You could try putting a corner shelf in near a hammock. My first pair of boys used to get out of the hammock, pee on the shelf then go back to bed. I knew it was nearing the end for the last one when he started weeing in his hammock.

I don't own any ratties but this is from my mum :D ....

To make a very good climbing slope for OAP ratties, sew a bit of carpet onto the top of a metal rat ladder, covering the bars. This has 3 benifits...it prevents the pensioners catching their toes, feet & legs in the runs, it is easy to walk up as they can grip with their claws & it can be scrubbed down when weed on. Must carpet shops will sell old swatches or cheap mats.

Back