• Forum/Server Upgrade If you are reading this you have made it to the upgraded forum. Posts made on the old forum after 26th October 2023 have not been transfered. Everything else should be here. If you find any issues please let us know.
  • Please Note - Medical Advice

Please keep in mind that posts on this forum are from members of the public sharing personal opinions. It is not a replacement for qualified medical advice from a veterinarian. Many illnesses share similar symptoms but require different treatments. A medical exam is necessary for an accurate diagnosis, without which appropriate treatment cannot be given.

You should always consult your vet before following any suggestions for medication or treatment you have read about. The wrong treatment could make your rabbit worse or mean your vet is unable to give the correct treatment because of drug interactions. Even non prescription drugs can do harm if given inappropriately.

We are very grateful to members who take time to answer other members questions, but please do be clear in your replies that you are sharing personal experience and not giving instructions on what must be done.

Urgent Medical Advice: If you need, or think you might need, urgent medical advice you should contact a vet. If it is out of working hours phone your vet's normal number and there should be an answer phone message with instructions on what to do.

Eye Infection - Update 25.08.10 PM, post 31

p_prod_uk

Mama Doe
Hi guys,

I got Lily on Sunday and yesterday I went to feed her in the morning and her left eye was totally closed and covered in gunk :cry:

I took her to the vets at 2pm and came away with eye ointment for her (I forget the name now) to use twice a day. It's in an orange and white box if that helps identify it :oops:

She's fine in herself, but her eye looks slightly swollen today and still totally closed up and gunky. She also seems to be slightly holding her head on one side (pain?)

I'm due to take her back tomorrow night for a checkup, but wondered if I should have asked for pain relief and anti biotics?

I feel stupid that I never thought at the time, but to be honest I just presumed she'd maybe been poked in the eye with a but of hay that had irritated it, and that it would be on the mend now.

This is how it was yesterday:

LilysEye.jpg

Does anyone have any advice please?

Also, I'm bathing it several times a day to try and keep it gunk-free, but whenever I go to do it, it's got gunky again in the time it's been left.

Help! :cry:

Last edited:
The ointment will be Fucithalmic which is usually very effective.

Did the Vet check for a FB in the eye and/or corneal ulceration?

Metacam would certainly be useful as holding her head to the side does indicate pain which the anti-inflammatory in the Fucithalmic is obviously not controlling.

What are you using to bathe the eye ?

ETA, just noticed that she is sitting on carpet and she has a concrete floor. As she's a Rex she is very likely to get sore hocks from carpet/concrete. Deep soft hay is the best substrate to keep Rexes on :)

Last edited:
The ointment will be Fucithalmic which is usually very effective.

Did the Vet check for a FB in the eye and/or corneal ulceration?

Metacam would certainly be useful as holding her head to the side does indicate pain which the anti-inflammatory in the Fucithalmic is obviously not controlling.

What are you using to bathe the eye ?

ETA, just noticed that she is sitting on carpet and she has a concrete floor. As she's a Rex she is very likely to get sore hocks from carpet/concrete. Deep soft hay is the best substrate to keep Rexes on :)

Hiya Jane - my saviour! :lol::wave:

Yes the name Fucithalmic rings a bell, think that's what I've got.

Cooled boiled water just to keep the eye clean.

The 'concrete' is lino and they usually have very deep hay on the carpet - it's just they'd eaten most of it when I took the piccy! lol. I've had experience with bad hocks on a rex before, but thanks for noticing and mentioning :D

We've got meticam for our cat at the mo, will I be ok to use that or do you get different types for different animals? (maybe a stoopid question!:oops:)
If I can use it, what dose should I give her?
x

ETA: With regards to the FB, the vet had a good look, but not with any equipment. Would medical equipment be necessary, or would just looking with the naked eye be enough?

ETA#2: Even though the buns don't really use the slide as a ramp (they tend to jump up through the holes in the sides of the playpen to reach the top level) I'd probably be best putting rubber matting on the slide part.

Can you buy rubber squares from Homebase etc, or does it have to be through a horse supplies place?
:)

Last edited:
my buns have been prescribed cat metacam before so it can be used for rabbits - may be worth mentioning to the vet that you already have some to save you buying another bottle.

I hope her poorly eye gets better soon.

ps. I love her name :love::love:

Just a quick update from this evening; lily's eye was totally shut and gunked up earlier (tea time) so we cleaned and put ointment in.

I called vets and gave 1ml cat metacam to ease her pain overnight and will get this reviewed tomorrow evening at vets.

She's an absolute darling with us cleaning her up etc - none of my other 3 would be so good!

Thanks for the help earlier and fingers crossed it's just an infection and not something more serious like an abcess.

Thanks katie2000, I love the name too! :-D x

As Metacam is a POM only your Vet can give you the OK to administer it and at what dose. So I'd give the surgery a call.

Re rubber matting, the only problem you might encounter is that the Bun's may chew it.

There are these

http://cgi.ebay.co.uk/32SQFT-ANTI-F...S-GARAGE-OUTDOOR-/330448654237?pt=UK_Flooring

but as I say, no good if someBun eats it !!

I've used a similar mat to these with my Rex & his wifey. They are chewy buns but for some reason leave their mat alone.
My mat is a 'jigsaw' edged but thicker than the one in the link. I think they are usually used in creches etc & gyms.
Have also just bought a rubber car mat which could be the go for your buns slide too.

Last edited:
I've used a similar mat to these with my Rex & his wifey. They are chewy buns but for some reason leave their mat alone.
My mat is a 'jigsaw' edged but thicker than the one in the link. I think they are usually used in creches etc & gyms.
Has also just bought a rubber car mat which could me the go for your buns slide too.

Thanks! :thumb: I'll look into replacing the slide carpet with rubber and just keep the carpet on top level of playhouse covered with hay.
:D

She already has.................... :?

:thumb: cheers Jane, didn't even notice this before! :D

Lily's eye was open this morning!! :D:D:love:

We cleaned it up a little again as still had gunk round the bottom but was sooo much better :love:

Fingers crossed tonight is ok, as Petplan won't cover her if it's anything more serious as only just insured her this morning! :roll:

Have had Lily at the vets for a check up tonight and the vet thinks it's an abcess behind her eye. :cry:

She's had gut stimulant as has dropped 0.1kg in 2 days and also had an injected painkiller.

I'm back tomorrow to see the main vet, where i'll get an xray done hopefully.

I've been told if it's just a mass behind the eye, caused by nothing in particular,(just 'one of those things') then it will be eye removal, but if it's due to tooth roots then it's untreatable - is this true?

I have no knowledge on eye abcesses and will be spending most of tonight reading up on the matter to go armed with a little knowledge tomorrow.

Any info on this would be hugely appreciated as I've only had my baby girl for 5 days :cry::cry:

Have had Lily at the vets for a check up tonight and the vet thinks it's an abcess behind her eye. :cry:

She's had gut stimulant as has dropped 0.1kg in 2 days and also had an injected painkiller.

I'm back tomorrow to see the main vet, where i'll get an xray done hopefully.

I've been told if it's just a mass behind the eye, caused by nothing in particular,(just 'one of those things') then it will be eye removal, but if it's due to tooth roots then it's untreatable - is this true?

I have no knowledge on eye abcesses and will be spending most of tonight reading up on the matter to go armed with a little knowledge tomorrow.

Any info on this would be hugely appreciated as I've only had my baby girl for 5 days :cry::cry:

What makes the Vet think its a retrobulbar abscess :?

How old is she, Lily not the Vet !!

Lily is about 2 Jane, but is a rescue bun so not 100% sure...

Her eye is bulging, especially on the top 'eyebrow bone'... :?

Has Vet been able to look under her upper eyelid. To me the presentation is that of a FB injury, not a retrobulbar abscess :?

I would be very surprised if it were a tooth root issue :?

Has Vet been able to look under her upper eyelid. To me the presentation is that of a FB injury, not a retrobulbar abscess :?

I would be very surprised if it were a tooth root issue :?

Hmmm, well that's good news I guess...

They have looked under her eyelid but couldn't se anything. Can they try flushing it out tomorrow or something?

If I decide not to get referred to FHB (ie if it is seeming that it's not a retrobulbar abcess), what are the things they would probably do - so I can make sure all necessary treatment is carried out?

And is Baytril enough of an abx? I've read it's not much use with retrobulbar abcesses, but if it's a FB would it be adequate?

Jane - I think i love you :love:

Hmmm, well that's good news I guess...

They have looked under her eyelid but couldn't se anything. Can they try flushing it out tomorrow or something?

If I decide not to get referred to FHB (ie if it is seeming that it's not a retrobulbar abcess), what are the things they would probably do - so I can make sure all necessary treatment is carried out?

And is Baytril enough of an abx? I've read it's not much use with retrobulbar abcesses, but if it's a FB would it be adequate?

Jane - I think i love you :love:

I think I'd want to talk about GAing her to enable the Vet to have a proper look. I cant imagine it is possible to be certain there is no FB stuck up there.
If a thorough examination under GA reveals no FB or obvious soft tissue injury and the Vet still suspects a retrobulbar abscess/tooth root issues then skull radiographs could be done whilst Lily is under theGA.

The 'bulging' may be soft tissue swelling. *If* there is a FB still in situ then it'll keep damaging the soft tissue/eye until it is removed.

As for abx, if she were mine I'd want to stick with the Baytril for now. If an abscess were to be confirmed then I'd want to talk with Vet about starting Depocillin and Metronidazole.

In my unqualified opinion I'd want to establish what is going on ASAP so as the most appropriate treatment can be given.

Back