• Forum/Server Upgrade If you are reading this you have made it to the upgraded forum. Posts made on the old forum after 26th October 2023 have not been transfered. Everything else should be here. If you find any issues please let us know.

how much does your vet charge

Georgeypudding

Wise Old Thumper
for buring molar spurs?

I was quoted £115! I want know if thats about average. Im in the middle of swapping vets so wont be using them anyway but it seems alot?

And is clipping spurs the norm?

I haven't had to have Daphne's done since she had her insicors out but her's used to cost between £80-£100.

Don't let the vet 'clip' them. It'll leave rough edges which will cause more problems later on.

I think I paid about 65 Pounds, that included general anaesthetic and the dental work. It has been a while, though. It was definitely a lot less than 115 Pounds. :shock:

My Herbie is a dental bun (every three weeks at the moment :() and for a GA dental it costs me £65. That includes a Zantac injection to stimulate his guts. Herbie has his molar spurs burred, not clipped.

I haven't had to have Daphne's done since she had her insicors out but her's used to cost between £80-£100.

Don't let the vet 'clip' them. It'll leave rough edges which will cause more problems later on.

We're about the same as this. There's a lot involved hence the cost so I think that this is reasonable for an unconcious molar dental.

I think it also depends where your vet is based - London vets seem to charge much more for things. I'm hoping my two never need anything like this!

It's a wee bit expensive then not much more :) we're in northants so not a city like London, the vet in general is expensive, ATM I'm paying £11 ish a month per bunny :shock:
so clipping is a nono? The vet said they clip because there is a big vein in the mouth?
Are consious dentals okay? I'm not sure my two would like that :S

It's a wee bit expensive then not much more :) we're in northants so not a city like London, the vet in general is expensive, ATM I'm paying £11 ish a month per bunny :shock:
so clipping is a nono? The vet said they clip because there is a big vein in the mouth?
Are consious dentals okay? I'm not sure my two would like that :S

I think conscious dentals very much depends on the rabbit. I would never put Daphne through one for her molars, although she did have her one insicor (bloody thing grew back!) burred down when she was awake the other day.

I'd still say no to clipping too. I would of though there'd be more chance of hitting a vein that way as burring is more controlled than a pair of clippers would be. I'd be worried they'd accidentally lop the tongue off or something! :shock: (I worry lots! :lol:).

I asked my vet about conscious dentals and she said the couldn't be done for molar work because of how they have to clamp the rabbits mouth open etc (gave me far too much detail for my liking!)

Blackie has to have molar work, which is due again soon, the last one was £170, but that included stasis treatment and an overnight stay in a staffed hospital.

Oh dear.I paid 250.
But that was 3 lots of meds...as he had a sore tongue and wasnt eating a thing, got taken into hopital and on a drip then the actual op.So no idea.I guess that was pretty good for a sick bunny.I got him the tues and rushed him in the wed.He was done that friday.

My current vet charges about £95; my previous vet charged around £35. HOWEVER my previous vet used to simply file off any points/spurs. My current vet spends a great deal longer burring the teeth down to just above the gum line and shaping them properly so that they stand more chance of growing normally afterwards. So sometimes I think you get what you pay for.

If you're interested to know more about conscious dentals, just type it into the search box and you'll find some threads with various opinions :)

it was a long time ago now must of been 9years ago when mitzi had them done regularly ie every 4months, it was £45 back then, i suspect that would of gone up alot, as i know speying/neutering has gone up alot since he was done too

Around £20ish - ours does it as a conscious dental and it doesnt cost much more than a normal consultation. That said she is a 'rabbit vet' AND very confident/experienced at it. I understand that not many vets do conscious ones and it is a contentious issue for many reasons. I can understand why people dont like the conscious ones for their buns or why a vet would not want to do one.

Mischa's was about £80. Apparently it goes up the more work they have to do but his weren't too bad.

Around £60 a time. That includes GA, rasp/burr of molars, all the meds, and often some fibreplex if I need it. All the check ups after are free. This includes regular dental checks. My vet doesn't put the bun under just to check their teeth - which I have experienced before :roll:

My Vets in Rushden - Wellpets, isn't far from you either ;)

Just PM me if you want more info about them

Back