• Forum/Server Upgrade If you are reading this you have made it to the upgraded forum. Posts made on the old forum after 26th October 2023 have not been transfered. Everything else should be here. If you find any issues please let us know.
  • Please Note - Medical Advice

Please keep in mind that posts on this forum are from members of the public sharing personal opinions. It is not a replacement for qualified medical advice from a veterinarian. Many illnesses share similar symptoms but require different treatments. A medical exam is necessary for an accurate diagnosis, without which appropriate treatment cannot be given.

You should always consult your vet before following any suggestions for medication or treatment you have read about. The wrong treatment could make your rabbit worse or mean your vet is unable to give the correct treatment because of drug interactions. Even non prescription drugs can do harm if given inappropriately.

We are very grateful to members who take time to answer other members questions, but please do be clear in your replies that you are sharing personal experience and not giving instructions on what must be done.

Urgent Medical Advice: If you need, or think you might need, urgent medical advice you should contact a vet. If it is out of working hours phone your vet's normal number and there should be an answer phone message with instructions on what to do.

Update - Possible Tumour

dbu13mr

Young Bun
Hi Guys,

Sorry, what with one thing and another I took the whole day off yesterday so couldn't get to a computer.

Well Peach has had operation, and is now in her recovery suite (ie sectioned off area of sitting-room) recuperating, and trying to ignore me as much as possible!

Turns out it wasn't a tapeworm cyst after all, but rather a fatty mass, one part of which seemed "more tumorous" than the other. According to the receptionist when I picked her up (vet wasn't around), it seemed more fibrous than a lipoma, and the vet really wasn't sure what it is. So I've had it sent off to histiopatholgy to find out.

In the meantime, do any of you guys have any ideas? Is it definitely going to be cancer, or is there a chance it's malignant?

Peach seems ok, eating her choccie drops and greenery when it's shoved under her nose (she's poorly, so how dare I assume she'll move anywhere to get food! She has staff to bring it to her, don't you know!).

Will let you know what the results say.

M

Sorry no advise really just wanted to show you some support!
Poor little girl, whendo you get the results?
Fingers crossed it is not a cancerous lump and just a collection of fat.

Thanks for your support.

No idea when results will come in: it's being sent off today so hopefully it won't take too long. The vet will ring me, no doubt when I'm at work, but luckily the guys here know what I'm like about my animals (I bore them to tears most days!) so if it's bad news they'll understand.

Peach has been on her own all day (friend who was going to pop in changed her mind) so goodness knows what state I'll find her in. Hopefully still semi-sedated, else there's little hope for her stitches!

Thanks once again,

M

Thanks for your support.

No idea when results will come in: it's being sent off today so hopefully it won't take too long. The vet will ring me, no doubt when I'm at work, but luckily the guys here know what I'm like about my animals (I bore them to tears most days!) so if it's bad news they'll understand.

Peach has been on her own all day (friend who was going to pop in changed her mind) so goodness knows what state I'll find her in. Hopefully still semi-sedated, else there's little hope for her stitches!

Thanks once again,

M

Aww bless her! Where abouts do you live?

I am the same, although I am not working atm due to mental health illness, when I have been working and in the future when I go back to work my fury babies come first so people will just have to deal with it! :lol:

Thanks everyone for your messages.

Got home last night to find Peach sitting up (rather than collapsed) and willing to stretch out for food, which I took as a good sign. Then, when I came in from shutting up the fowl at about 11 I went to check on her in her pen...only she was nowhere to be found. Having searched the place thoroughly I looked up to discover she'd got out of the pen and was on the other side of the room, under the coffee table. Although annoyed as the best thing would be to keep her penned up until she had her stitches out, I had to be pleased she'd pulled the side of the pen out the way and escaped.

She's very much back to her old self: demanding food, demanding strokes, and, after I'd turned the light out, running around at a speed of knots. So she's definitely on the mend.

All I need now is good news re what was removed from her, then I can relax. Don't know when that will be, probably some time next week. Hopefully it won't take long to get here even if we do live in the middle of no-where (Skye).

Thanks for your support,

M (and P!)

Back