• Forum/Server Upgrade If you are reading this you have made it to the upgraded forum. Posts made on the old forum after 26th October 2023 have not been transfered. Everything else should be here. If you find any issues please let us know.

What's the quickest, easiest and least stressful way of doing a bum check?

Bitzy

Mama Doe
:wave:

After seeing the post about flystrike and what the eggs look like I'm going to have to inspect Dizzi very carefully as she has white fur on her bum ....... and I'm paranoid!!

She really dislikes being picked up so I'm trying to find the quickest, eastiest and least stressful way of properly checking her bum so that she doesn't get too freaked.

The vet nurse suggested cradling her like a baby (on her back in the crook of my arm, paws up) and although this is a really good position to get a good look .... I believe it stresses them out.

With Rascal I can probably do it whilst he's led down flopping as his fur's orange but with Dizzi's being white I really do need a proper look.

Any suggestions?

Thanks

Jo x

Do you have someone who can help? I find with the more awkward buns if you tip them back towards your body so their back feet are still on the ground they don't panic as much. However this is quite an awkward position to get a good view so you may need someone to help.

It's sooooo difficult with white fur and a bunny who HATES being picked up. I try lifting his leg/tail when he's flopped, but he has learned to tuck in his paw without even going the trouble of moving away. :roll::roll: I know it's important, but Spenser obviously considers him bum area to be none of my business! :evil:

I usually just pick them up (just off the ground), cradling thei bum but still keeping them upright (not on their back). That way, you can check and put them down really quickly, it seems to stress them less.

depends on the bunny im afriad, dora i just pick up and ca see by the way i hold her arthur has to go onto his back brakcen will NOT go onto her back and so you lift her bum up along with her backpaws while she stays with her front paws on the table...the vets think this is hilarious but she doesnt mind and is fine to do it this way. she is only a small bunny anyhow. coco i can cradle and kitty i can see when i pick her up you just havet o find what is right for your bunny x

Do you have someone who can help? I find with the more awkward buns if you tip them back towards your body so their back feet are still on the ground they don't panic as much. However this is quite an awkward position to get a good view so you may need someone to help.

Aaah this is what the vet does .... might give it a try, get OH involved!

Other than that I'll see if I can sneek a peek whilst they're flopping, although most of the time, when I go near them they get giddy and jump up and run round .......... I think they just see me as a glorified waitress bringing their meals!! lol

I'll definitely try some of these techniques .... thanks everyone!

Jo x

One of my vets lifts the rear end off the table, to get a look at the bottom area, with the front legs still on the table like a wheelbarrow! He does it in such a way as to leave his thumbs free to move fur around - more to check bum is clean I think but may be useful. My buns don't seem to mind and certainly don't move - I'm at the head end.

I craddle mine - 1 is more wriggly but not too bad.

Thanks everyone, going to have 'operation bum check' this weekend and try to establish which is the best way for each bun ....... I check them every day and hate the stress it causes them!

Just a thought ..... how often do you check bums in winter? Is it also daily or as the risk of flies goes down, do you check less often??

Cheers, Jo x

My top tip would be not to get your face too near :roll: I was just looking at Apache's bum, he kicked, and split my lip in two places.

Am most worried about how I'm going to explain it to people tomorrow :?

My top tip would be not to get your face too near :roll: I was just looking at Apache's bum, he kicked, and split my lip in two places.

Am most worried about how I'm going to explain it to people tomorrow :?

"I was trying to look at my rabbits bottom when he kicked me in the face." :lol: I can only imagine the looks that I'd get if I came in saying that! :lol:

My 13 year old daughter is my vet nurse - she's brilliant at checking bums and bits and can sex them with no problem. I tend to do teeth and ears while she holds them either on her knees on their back or cradling them like a baby.:p

Back