• Forum/Server Upgrade If you are reading this you have made it to the upgraded forum. Posts made on the old forum after 26th October 2023 have not been transfered. Everything else should be here. If you find any issues please let us know.

Removing Tics

Debster

Mama Doe
Just noticed that Timmy has a tic on his nose. I've heard you can get a tool to remove them, has anyone done this before? Is it easy to use? Or am I better off taking him to the vets?:?

If its not big I think you can put something on it to dry it out and then it drops off, alcahol I think sure someone who know better will be along soon :)

Never had them on a bunny before - my dog had a couple - I got them off with meths on cotton wool but wouldn't want to put that on a bunny's nose. Also you can smother them in vaseline as it suffocates them in an hour or so but again, not practical on a bunny's nose. You can get a tool to take them off but I'd maybe just take him to the vet because you don't want the risk of it regurgitating back into hime or leaving its mouth parts behind when you pull it off.
They are just disgusting things! poor bunny

Only had them on a Cat and a child :roll: - there's always one!

Vet said you can squirt them with flea spray or alcohol (soak a bit of cotton wool and hold it on for a bit) to make them dopey then gently ease them off so as not to break off the head which left in the animal could cause a problem but that was on a CAT. Obviously I wouldn't use flea spray but some alcohol wouldn't hurt would it?

I just pulled is off when Islay got a tick, but if you've never done it before I wouldn't recommend it. Try getting a tick puller, I've never used one, but supposedly they work well.

The trouble with tics is that it is so easy to leave the head in which can then cause an infection.

I would take him to the vets - the nurse might be able to do it and it will probably cost less :wave:

I wouldnt put anything on it,stuff like vaseline etc causes it stress and makes it regurgitate its stomach contents back into the host.Best removed with a tick hook-ask your vet to show you how to do it.

You can get tick tweezers, but as its on the nose, which is really sensitive, I'd smother in vaseline, which will suffocate it.
Within a few hours you can just gently pull it off

I have a special tool to remove ticks, from humans, but it should work with an animal, too. It grabs the tick very close to the skin, and then you gently pull it out, with a slight twisting and turning of the tool.

Make sure the head comes out, you can see it with a magnifying glass.

Do not try to suffocate a tick, or put any substances like alcohol on it. It will make it get stressed and it will pump more saliva into the animal or human. In the saliva there are sometimes bacteria that can cause Lyme disease. It causes big problems in humans, but I have also heard of cases where dogs caught it. So it is possible that most mammals get it. The normal host is a deer.

Thanks so much for all the replies :)

I've just popped out to have another look, but strangely it seems to have gone :? I'm sure it was a tic, as Pickle had one in the same place a few months ago and it looked exactly the same. I took Pickle to the vets and they put some drops on it that made it fall off, but also left him with a little bald spot that took ages to grow back. I wondered if I could do it myself to save them the stress of a vet trip.

I think if it happens again I might ask my vet about Advantage and about the tic hook thing.

This is the O'Tom tick hook remover:
http://www.petmeds.co.uk/p-3657-o-t...5fc81f8e60a8&gclid=CL-o59Lzw6MCFYiX2AodqkKedw

I have to use it all the time on poor little hedgehogs. Just twist and pull to get the critters off.

I have also coated the ticks with olive oil in the past to get them off altho it isn't as instant.

Make sure you properly kill the tick as they can wander off and cling onto humans! Ugggh (and cause Lymes disease as someone mentioned). The 'unfilled' ticks are tiny and difficult to see. They are so loathsome.:censored: To kill them I wrap them up in tissue and explode them and then flush them down the toilet as they are somewhat invincible.:evil:

Back