• Forum/Server Upgrade If you are reading this you have made it to the upgraded forum. Posts made on the old forum after 26th October 2023 have not been transfered. Everything else should be here. If you find any issues please let us know.
  • Please Note - Medical Advice

Please keep in mind that posts on this forum are from members of the public sharing personal opinions. It is not a replacement for qualified medical advice from a veterinarian. Many illnesses share similar symptoms but require different treatments. A medical exam is necessary for an accurate diagnosis, without which appropriate treatment cannot be given.

You should always consult your vet before following any suggestions for medication or treatment you have read about. The wrong treatment could make your rabbit worse or mean your vet is unable to give the correct treatment because of drug interactions. Even non prescription drugs can do harm if given inappropriately.

We are very grateful to members who take time to answer other members questions, but please do be clear in your replies that you are sharing personal experience and not giving instructions on what must be done.

Urgent Medical Advice: If you need, or think you might need, urgent medical advice you should contact a vet. If it is out of working hours phone your vet's normal number and there should be an answer phone message with instructions on what to do.

how long after neururing a rabbit should i see a difference - acting strange

staceyemiliou

Young Bun
I had my two male buns neutered 3 or so days ago, they both get on fine and since the op have been eating, are lively etc. However i have noticed my one bun seems to of changed a little, i put them in the run for a bit and immediately he started chasing and grunting at my other bun - hes never done this before, he sprayed all over the other one,.

Both are 5 months old, i want to be careful as i dont want them humping and causing damage to their stitches.

How long is it usually for the typical un-neutered male behavior to dye down?

I had my two male buns neutered 3 or so days ago, they both get on fine and since the op have been eating, are lively etc. However i have noticed my one bun seems to of changed a little, i put them in the run for a bit and immediately he started chasing and grunting at my other bun - hes never done this before, he sprayed all over the other one,.

Both are 5 months old, i want to be careful as i dont want them humping and causing damage to their stitches.

How long is it usually for the typical un-neutered male behavior to dye down?

About 4-6 weeks.

You'll need to be very vigilant that they dont fight as to all intents and purposes they still feel as though they are entire Bucks.

I'm glad you asked this as I was wondering too.

What about girls? Is it the same for them? 4-6 weeks??

Is it safe to bond a 2 week post-spay girl with an 8 week post-neuter boy?? Or is 2 weeks post op too soon?

What about girls? Is it the same for them? 4-6 weeks??

I've had some girls take almost six months!

Bitzy, am I right in thinking you had your little one done as soon as possible? Did she exhibit any hormonal behaviour beforehand? I'd give her a couple more weeks to recover and then try bonding. Bonding can be quite stressfull for bunnies and can put a lot of strain on their immune system so I'd make sure she's had plenty of recovery time.

Ive just been watching them again and i have separated the top level from bottom for a while. The one rabbit alaska seems to be really mean to Seagul the other bun. Whenever seagul gets in his way he grunts and sort of headbutts him. Its really strange as before the neuter they got along fine and never once did i see any sign of worry or aggression. Now Seagul seems really nervous to be around him and a little worried he really scurries away when Alaska comes. But then on the other hand he would go to headbutt him then after a minute start licking him!

What should i do, im so upset this is happening as they got along so well before. I just don't want one of them getting hurt.

Were they seperated at all after the op or did they recover together?

If they were seperated they may need rebonding as the unfamiliar vet smells could make them unfamiliar with each other. You'll have to go back to starting in a small neuteral area.

I've had some girls take almost six months!

Bitzy, am I right in thinking you had your little one done as soon as possible? Did she exhibit any hormonal behaviour beforehand? I'd give her a couple more weeks to recover and then try bonding. Bonding can be quite stressfull for bunnies and can put a lot of strain on their immune system so I'd make sure she's had plenty of recovery time.

Hi Amy

Yes, I got them both at 8 weeks old, I separated them at 11 weeks due to fighting .... since then they've lived side by side being able to see/smell each other (and I've swapped them over a few times too) with just 2 layers of mesh separating them.

I had Rascal done at 13 weeks and Dizzi at 19 weeks.

she hasn't displayed any hormonal behaviour and has been a very sweet little thing (other than that one fight they had) since we got her ..... she loves a fuss but hates being picked up.

OK so maybe in a month or so!?! I just can't wait to see them back together again grooming and snuggling (hopefully)!!!

staceyemiliou - sorry for hijacking your thread - I'll slope off now and hope that someone can help you soon (as you can see I'm a novice so have no idea how to advise, sorry). Hope you get sorted. x

OK so maybe in a month or so!?! I just can't wait to see them back together again grooming and snuggling (hopefully)!!!

If she was done two weeks ago I think another two weeks would be ok.

they had the op done at the same time and were kept together in the vets. I just put them back in the same space and alaska went right over to seagul and started licking him, and seagul looked really relaxed - i guess they were just playing. I will keep a close eye on them

Back