• Forum/Server Upgrade If you are reading this you have made it to the upgraded forum. Posts made on the old forum after 26th October 2023 have not been transfered. Everything else should be here. If you find any issues please let us know.

Rabbits have eaten foam...help

Jemma&Theo

Mama Doe
So, in an attempt to help with noodles sore hock, i sent my OH out to buy some foam camping / yoga mats.

OH went and got the foam, i am working night shifts and was asleep so I said 'come get me out of bed i have to help you put them in' . Did he???? Err no.

He threw one in willy nilly not securing the edges and they ate it......

So now have that to worry about too. I went MAD

They have eaten about a 10cm x 5cm piece which is 0.7 mm thick. They are eating and drinking loads but worried now....

Its silver foam with a slight shiny backing..........

will they be ok?

Last edited:
So, in an attempt to help with noodles sore hock, i sent ross out to buy some foam camping / yoga mats.

OH went and got the foam, i am working night shifts and was asleep so I said 'come get me out of bed i have to help you put them in' . Did he???? Err no.

He threw one in willy nilly not securing the edges and they ate it......

So now have that to worry about too. I went MAD

They have eaten about a 10cm x 5cm piece which is 0.7 mm thick. They are eating and drinking loads but worried now....

Its silver foam with a slight shiny backing..........

will they be ok?

and to top it all off he said "great- what a waste of £15":censored::censored::evil::censored:

I got mine from morrisons £1 each in the sale, and used the thick tape to keep the edges sealed. :wave:
I'd keep ensuring plenty of fluid and hay to help push anything through their gut, that's all I can suggest as I've never had the experience.

I got mine from morrisons £1 each in the sale, and used the thick tape to keep the edges sealed. :wave:
I'd keep ensuring plenty of fluid and hay to help push anything through their gut, that's all I can suggest as I've never had the experience.

yeah they think christmas has come early getting unlimited food.... eat my pretties:evil:

think i should stop now- they are on the hay

I think they will be okay, but get them to the vets if you notice any problems. I had adonia eat cat food yesterday- i'm equally as worried, but i think the only thing here would be the size of the piece they have eaten and the fact that is manmade material. Monitor them and see and be prepared to get them into the vets if you notice any change in there tolieting. If they can pee and poo, I imagine they would be fine.

http://www.rabbit.org/journal/3-3/digestibility.html - According to this - waste should just pass through in the form of normal dropping, if they can digest it okay. If you are concerned- take them both for a check up to the vets or call the vets and ask if they recommend you come in with them. They may be able to tell you not to bother there is nothing they can do over the phone, or recommend you come in as a matter of urgency if it is more serious.

Hope they are okay x

Ambience xx

Strawberry used to eat foam matts! He also eats lino and carpet and has always lived to tell the tale.

Keep a close eye on them and take them straight to the vets if you notice them not eating as much or not pooing normally.

I actually feel a bit sorry for your OH. It sounds like he was trying to do a nice thing- unfortunately foamy, spongy things seem to be irresistable to bunnies.
With any luck they just chewed it up without swallowing it- Tippex Porkychicken has in the past devoured a large area of cushion vinyl flooring, and a foam catbed, and a sofa, and numerous other things, without any apparent ill effects so far :)

Back