• Forum/Server Upgrade If you are reading this you have made it to the upgraded forum. Posts made on the old forum after 26th October 2023 have not been transfered. Everything else should be here. If you find any issues please let us know.

Fosterer wanting to help in Notts - Derby and Leics

SOAD

Wise Old Thumper
Posted on behalf of Meesha

I used to have bunnies as a kid but then lifestyle work etc changed and I didn't have the time nor the means to look after any animals.

That's all now changed, I live in a house which has a nice big garden and am a student again in the process of retraining. I live in Notts so Derby and Leics are not far away.

I was thinking about buying a bunny and then just by chance found out about fostering by stumbling across this website and read a story about someone who had fostered. I want to foster rather than adopt because I'd like to (over the course of time) give many rabbits a better existence even for a short time rather than just one and I think it might help relieve a bit pressure that rescues seem to be feeling. Sorry if I have got this wrong, just the impression I get from reading the posts on this.

I'm really not sure how to go about this or what exactly is involved, so if anyone can help, that would be great. I've contacted a couple of rescues close to me and am waiting to hear back.

Hi there,

I foster and I love it, however it isn't easy. Some bunnies are friendly and easy but some come to you in upsetting conditions. We get abused, starved and sometimes physically abused animals which is always hard. You have to be strong and prepare yourself that its not always easy. Some bunnies need medicine and some come in so unwell that they may need to be PTS which is never nice. Two of my fosters have just been confirmed as terminal and I was heartbroken.

Some bunnies are with you for months, even years and it can be hard to give them up when its time. I think its really great that you want to help, I just want you to be aware that it can be a lot of work and upsetting. I would never stop doing it though as its so rewarding :D

I hope I don't sound negative. The plus side is you make the world of difference to a little life :)

Posted on behalf of Meesha

I used to have bunnies as a kid but then lifestyle work etc changed and I didn't have the time nor the means to look after any animals.

That's all now changed, I live in a house which has a nice big garden and am a student again in the process of retraining. I live in Notts so Derby and Leics are not far away.

I was thinking about buying a bunny and then just by chance found out about fostering by stumbling across this website and read a story about someone who had fostered. I want to foster rather than adopt because I'd like to (over the course of time) give many rabbits a better existence even for a short time rather than just one and I think it might help relieve a bit pressure that rescues seem to be feeling. Sorry if I have got this wrong, just the impression I get from reading the posts on this.

I'm really not sure how to go about this or what exactly is involved, so if anyone can help, that would be great. I've contacted a couple of rescues close to me and am waiting to hear back.

Hi there

I don't think you're negative at all and absolutely right to check whether I've thought it all through, so I appreciate your honesty.

This might sound a bit off the wall but my retraining involves working with people who have been in similar situations altho my work is focussed around trying to heal psychological damage rather than physical and in some ways animals aren't that different to people in that they need love, care, patience, time and attention. Also, I know that I need to take care of myself and be strong cos if I don't, how can I be 'there' for people who need me or animals for that matter?

That said, I don't think it's ever easy having to PTS an animal nor will it be easy being a fosterer so I may need to start gently. I guess the things that I have in my favour are that I have time and previously I always had rescue rabbits (4) and I now have this forum which I'm sure I'll be using on a regular basis :)

Anyway, I'm sure there's going to be stuff I haven't thought of so any advice is welcome :)

Hi there,

I foster and I love it, however it isn't easy. Some bunnies are friendly and easy but some come to you in upsetting conditions. We get abused, starved and sometimes physically abused animals which is always hard. You have to be strong and prepare yourself that its not always easy. Some bunnies need medicine and some come in so unwell that they may need to be PTS which is never nice. Two of my fosters have just been confirmed as terminal and I was heartbroken.

Some bunnies are with you for months, even years and it can be hard to give them up when its time. I think its really great that you want to help, I just want you to be aware that it can be a lot of work and upsetting. I would never stop doing it though as its so rewarding :D

I hope I don't sound negative. The plus side is you make the world of difference to a little life :)

It is mental problems too. Have you seen my post on Bert? Bert has had a rough time until he came here and needs a really special home because he just isn't used to people or anything for that matter. He needs someone understanding who will work with him.

Best thing to do is have a chat with the rescue you want to help with. All rescue have different polocies as to what they expect and need from a foster.

Thank you for caring :D

Hi there

I don't think you're negative at all and absolutely right to check whether I've thought it all through, so I appreciate your honesty.

This might sound a bit off the wall but my retraining involves working with people who have been in similar situations altho my work is focussed around trying to heal psychological damage rather than physical and in some ways animals aren't that different to people in that they need love, care, patience, time and attention. Also, I know that I need to take care of myself and be strong cos if I don't, how can I be 'there' for people who need me or animals for that matter?

That said, I don't think it's ever easy having to PTS an animal nor will it be easy being a fosterer so I may need to start gently. I guess the things that I have in my favour are that I have time and previously I always had rescue rabbits (4) and I now have this forum which I'm sure I'll be using on a regular basis :)

Anyway, I'm sure there's going to be stuff I haven't thought of so any advice is welcome :)

Poor little bunny, I did see your post on him. The more I read the more questions I have so hope any potential rescue is prepared to answer lots!:lol:

Meesha

thank you for your pm:D
You may well be able to help us out
Can you e mail me honeybunnysr@aol.com and send details of your address and contact number, which vets you are near..do you have a hutch or would you need one and can you foster more than one bun..maybe good to start with one!

Meesha

thank you for your pm:D
You may well be able to help us out
Can you e mail me honeybunnysr@aol.com and send details of your address and contact number, which vets you are near..do you have a hutch or would you need one and can you foster more than one bun..maybe good to start with one!

Yay :D:D

I started with one hutch..... Now my garden is dedicated to bunnies :lol:

Back