• Forum/Server Upgrade If you are reading this you have made it to the upgraded forum. Posts made on the old forum after 26th October 2023 have not been transfered. Everything else should be here. If you find any issues please let us know.
  • Please Note - Medical Advice

Please keep in mind that posts on this forum are from members of the public sharing personal opinions. It is not a replacement for qualified medical advice from a veterinarian. Many illnesses share similar symptoms but require different treatments. A medical exam is necessary for an accurate diagnosis, without which appropriate treatment cannot be given.

You should always consult your vet before following any suggestions for medication or treatment you have read about. The wrong treatment could make your rabbit worse or mean your vet is unable to give the correct treatment because of drug interactions. Even non prescription drugs can do harm if given inappropriately.

We are very grateful to members who take time to answer other members questions, but please do be clear in your replies that you are sharing personal experience and not giving instructions on what must be done.

Urgent Medical Advice: If you need, or think you might need, urgent medical advice you should contact a vet. If it is out of working hours phone your vet's normal number and there should be an answer phone message with instructions on what to do.

Cornstarch for cleaning bottoms

I have read about cornstarch to clean rabbits' bottoms. Has anyone tried this? Does it remove hard poos or just soft ones? And is cornstarch the same as cornflour?

Just curious because Crunchie tends to get a bit pooey round the bum in spite of my very best efforts and hours of research!

Last edited:
Best thing for messy bums is to carefully cut away the worst and/or use just plain warm water to bathe bunny's bottom, or a flannel or sensitive baby wipe, keeping the rest of bunny as dry as possible.

What sort of diet does Crunchie have? How much pelleted feed and how much hay? Does Crunchie have any dental issues or mobility problems?

I have used this method before and it's fine - was just curious about the cornstarch.
I have gradually reduced the amount of pellets to an egg cup and he has unlimited hay and he's having broccoli at the mo.
His fur is very fuzzy and poo seems to stick to it like velcro! Because he was shaved there was no prob before but as it's growing back I can see poos beginning to stick...

I read about cornstarch a while ago and after a search I found a company called Burts Bees (smells lovely and doesn't contain talc just all pure and natural. Cornstarch is the main ingrediant) that sell it. I haven't used it on my little bun yet but will at the weekend. She too has a 'velcro' bum and any poo will stick to it :roll: I really do agree with the comments above that a good diet and plenty of hay should improve the situation. But I know some buns just have the type of bottoms that just atract poops :D

I often have the same problems with Poppet. She has very soft black fur, but is grey and wiry around her behind, and she often sits in it.She needs her fur keeping short, and regularly checking to make sure she isn't bunged up

Back