• Forum/Server Upgrade If you are reading this you have made it to the upgraded forum. Posts made on the old forum after 26th October 2023 have not been transfered. Everything else should be here. If you find any issues please let us know.

Aggressive at 10 weeks old? U/D pic p18

Starlight

Warren Veteran
One of Giganta's babies, I discovered yesterday, was attacking everyone coming near her... I only saw this when I heard a scream at 1am this morning and went up to find Millie hanging from her mouth :shock:

Millie has a nasty wound on her bum, and a slight tear to the eyelid, but is otherwise fine (has been put on Baytril and Fucithulmic with a c/u in a few days.

I took Firefly in today to have her eyes checked in case of blindness, but there was no sign of problems when looked at. Firefly is meant to be rehomed with two other sisters, Dragonfly and Sunflower, so have put those 3 in a seperate cage to Millie and Ginger. I am keeping a close eye on them, but could it potentially just be behavioural problems? Will they stop? She has nothing physically wrong with her :?

Last edited:
:shock::shock::shock:

Wonder what on earth triggered that.

Were all the other buns alright ? Poor buns - could it be hormonal already?

I guess im being bias to Ginger here :roll:

I noticed Sunflower has a scab forming, a tiny one on her rump, but all others are fine... I don't know what on earth happened.

I had moved China's cage out of my room, so moved their cage to a slightly lower level (3 cages, theirs was originally the middle one, now on floor level)

That's the only change in routine.

not having raised babies, i wouldnt have the foggiest about behaviour, maybe something startled her but i couldnt really make any other suggestions.

Sure someone with better knowledge than me will come along soon!

Ooohhh errrr, no idea. Just wanted to stop by and say I'm glad it wasn't Ginger or Ringo! :oops::roll:

Could they have been squabling over food?

I took Firefly in today to have her eyes checked in case of blindness, but there was no sign of problems when looked at.

Does she display any other behaviour that would suggest sight problems? Bailey has problems with his sight but the normal checks performed by the vet showed that they were working ok, ie they respond to light etc and that it was possible it is more to do with the fact his brain doesn't recieve the signals from his eyes.

When the others catch her off guard, she just flys at them as if getting ready to defend herself from whatever may be about to happen :?

yes it is possible. Our vets will usually neuter girls if over a kilo (probably more if she is a giant) which stops the bonking and other such behaviour which can lead to scraps.

They are all around 1.3-1.6 kg, would that be enough. They are giant x, but mum was only 3kg when fully grown- though I feel they may outgrow her by a bit.

When the others catch her off guard, she just flys at them as if getting ready to defend herself from whatever may be about to happen

Does she react similarly with you? Bailey used to take more of a flight than fight approach if he was startled so I removed him from the original trio as they were far to active for him and he was permanently on edge. I rebonded him with a more laid back girly, in fact he now has two wifebuns and he's much happier.

Hopefully though it will just be early hormones and spaying will do the trick.

When the others catch her off guard, she just flys at them as if getting ready to defend herself from whatever may be about to happen :?

I had this happen with blaze- i didn't realise the rest of the kits had turned on him. He now has behavioral issues because of it. Like a defensive attack. I would say that could be what it is. Is the bunny okay in terms of health etc?( normal not deformed in any way), just that i think that blaze was seen as the odd one out, and all members of every species pick on members of the group that are odd looking according to some scientific research i read. If not then, perhaps it was something accidental that has sparked the behavior, and now the bunny has associated this to the others and turns on them as a form of protection?

Just a few thoughts, Sorry i can't be of more help
Ambience xx

I'd definately seperate her if she is inflicting those kind of injuries regardless. I assume you have done this though.

Last edited:
She may just be a stroppy mare:lol:

Jacinta was out a litter of 6,and she was aggressive from 7 weeks. She was seperated from her siblings because she was so nasty.
The first time I met her she piddled all over me, and bit me:roll:

Needless to say she couldn't be rehomed as no one wanted her (even though she's beautiful) so she came to live with me.
She's still a stroppy mare:roll:

I would probably separate her from the others, but then again, she might get even more aggressive if on her own. She might feel threatened by you then.

Neutering at 10 weeks is possible, if they are big enough, but I would only do it, if you had a very good vet.

I'll phone my vets and see if they would be willing to spay, I normally wait until 16 weeks.

Jane, she had her eyes checked with the little light, and nothing abnormal showed up, which shocked me as I was sure blindness was the cause.

I have just booked all 3 that are hopefully to stay together, in for spays on Friday.

She did seem very jumpy at my hand coming towards her, but did not physically bite me, just lunged.

Here is a picture of her back

038.jpg

Back