• Forum/Server Upgrade If you are reading this you have made it to the upgraded forum. Posts made on the old forum after 26th October 2023 have not been transfered. Everything else should be here. If you find any issues please let us know.

Un-neutered male with neutered female?

Toadie

Alpha Buck
What are your views on this?. I know of a neutered dutchie girl needing a new home - sadly due to her owners divorce and new living situation. My boy Frodo is a very laid back boy, very rarely humps or sprays and in no way aggressive (did have the money set aside for his neuter this month, but after an emergency dash to the vet the pet insurance excess ate that!:roll:)

I personally wouldn't risk it. He seems placid now but you have never seen his reaction to ther rabbits a presume. It wouldn't hurt to get her if that's what you want but wait until he is neutered to intro them.

Think personally you'd be asking for trouble. If he found a female his hormones may well kick straight in and he would pester her until she got so fed up she may well attack him at which point, bonding could be impossible as buns have awesome memories.

My opinion; don't do it unless you have your boy neutered (and wait ~4-6 weeks after that before attempting a bond!)

I have- at the moment.

It was not a planned thing I had two rabbits in side by side runs who desperetaly kept trying to be as close to each other as they could in a good not nasty way- I was going to leave it until Arnie was neutered but it was clear they both wanted to be with the other. Teasel pined for a very long time after Toffee died and aggresively refused all bunny company for four years until Arnie and Arnie thanks to being cared for by Becky86 has a joy of life and sense of adventure that has given Teasel a new zest for life. They also have a lot of space as they are in a Forsham really big hutch and have a 16' by 10' run.

When life slows down and allows me the time to care for a buck with stitches he is going to the vet!

Ideally neuter first; if that is not possible have you room to place them in side by side runs so they can see each other without being able to risk hurting each other?

I really would neuter first. Nuetering a buck is generally very straight forward and they get over it quite quickly. Even if your buck is very chilled that may not be the case once in the company of a female bun. If the doe did get fed up with being humped she could do a very nasty injury to an entire buck. I wouldnt risk it. I have to be honest imho I dont agree with it. I guess it could work but I would say that was the exception rather than the rule. If you booked your buck in to be done within a week or so he should be well on the way to being healed. (though wait a bit longer before bonding)

Back