• Forum/Server Upgrade If you are reading this you have made it to the upgraded forum. Posts made on the old forum after 26th October 2023 have not been transfered. Everything else should be here. If you find any issues please let us know.

What to put in litter tray????

cyprusrabbit

Alpha Buck
Hi

I have had my buns a week now and I want to introduce a litter tray - I have seen where they are going for a wee so I will place it there. Apart from adding bits of their wee and poo what else should I put in the tray?

I do a couple of scoops (an old dustpan) of megazorb and cover with a thick layer of hay. We use big storage boxes though so two scoops would be way too much for a normal litter tray.

I use wooden cat litter pellets covered in hay. They're really absorbent.

Megazorb is good but you have to buy it in large sacks from horse supply shops.
Carefresh is good but can be quite expensive if you have lots of buns.

Whatever you use put some hay on top to encourage them to use it :)

Right - so I have cleaned them out and put the tray where they have been going, with some of the old shavings and I have then put hay in top - fingers crossed....

But will they eat the hay in the loo??

But will they eat the hay in the loo??

Oh yes! We're talking about critters who eat their own poo :shock::D
Mine eat lots of hay in their litter trays.

ETA: I have hay racks near the litter trays as well, so they're not trampling in the 'good' hay all the time.

Oh yes! We're talking about critters who eat their own poo :shock::D
Mine eat lots of hay in their litter trays.

ETA: I have hay racks near the litter trays as well, so they're not trampling in the 'good' hay all the time.

poo boxes

Hi

I have had my buns a week now and I want to introduce a litter tray - I have seen where they are going for a wee so I will place it there. Apart from adding bits of their wee and poo what else should I put in the tray?

hay bins,,poop boxes-all get timothy grasses--they love it..sincerely james waller:love:--never use pine,cedar or scented shavings,,clay litter,,etc..

Last edited:
I use wood pellet cat litter in my trays. It is really absorbant and doesnt smell.
Then i put hay at the one side for them to munch on :)

I've found that, because my buns prefer the new fresh hay when i top up, I can put the 'old' hay that they're no longer interested in into the tray. Just means they eat less of the Hay/Litter they've pee'd on...

Back