• Forum/Server Upgrade If you are reading this you have made it to the upgraded forum. Posts made on the old forum after 26th October 2023 have not been transfered. Everything else should be here. If you find any issues please let us know.
  • Please Note - Medical Advice

Please keep in mind that posts on this forum are from members of the public sharing personal opinions. It is not a replacement for qualified medical advice from a veterinarian. Many illnesses share similar symptoms but require different treatments. A medical exam is necessary for an accurate diagnosis, without which appropriate treatment cannot be given.

You should always consult your vet before following any suggestions for medication or treatment you have read about. The wrong treatment could make your rabbit worse or mean your vet is unable to give the correct treatment because of drug interactions. Even non prescription drugs can do harm if given inappropriately.

We are very grateful to members who take time to answer other members questions, but please do be clear in your replies that you are sharing personal experience and not giving instructions on what must be done.

Urgent Medical Advice: If you need, or think you might need, urgent medical advice you should contact a vet. If it is out of working hours phone your vet's normal number and there should be an answer phone message with instructions on what to do.

Another Leo related problem ... Scabs. UPDATE: OPEN WOUNDS :/

youthnovels

Wise Old Thumper
Today I was grooming Leo and have discovered a scab on his back about the size of 50p which is hard to the touch. I guess it's skin colour I guess but also a bit red (all his fur has fallen out in said area). When touching it he doesn't seem to be in any discomfort. I'm guessing it could possibly be mites but that is a complete guess.

I'm just looking for some advice on what it could be and also how urgently he needs to get to the vets. My parents are currently on holiday and it's not payday until Monday so I need to work out if extending my overdraft for any potential fees is a matter of urgency.

Any help will be much much appreciated as he is due to be bonded in the very near future and I need to know if this is okay to go ahead :wave:

ETA: Sorry about all the errors in above post, I've been up since 4am!

Last edited:
Has he had any injections/vaccinations in the last 2-3 weeks ?

If so it may be a local reaction which is now healing.

Cant say for certain without being able to see it though :)

He had his VHD exactly two weeks ago, however, the scab has occurred literally over night. I checked this morning and part of the skin is now falling off with new skiunderneath. It looks sore but doesn't appear to be causing any discomfort.

I completely forgot that it was only two weeks since his injection. I can try and get pictures later but I presume that he won't need a vets appointment just yet?

Last edited:
I took him to the vets this evening. She looked incredibly shocked and said that has never seen a reaction to Cyclap as bad as that before. She has perscribed him some cream to apply 3-4 times a day and has requested to see him in a weeks time.

Worse case scenario is that the affected skin will have to be cut out and then him stitched back together :( I don't really want to think about this yet so millions of healing vibes would be appreciated.

She's also advised me to put off his coming up bonding which means that the bunny I had reserved is probably going to be going to a different home :cry:

Vibes, vibes and more vibes please. Leo has been through so much already :cry:

Poor lad :cry:

Is the Vet reporting the vaccine reaction to the manufacturer ?

Lots of vibes being sent xx

I don't think she was planning on, however, I'm tempted to try and obtain the details myself and write in a letter of complaint. Ideally trying to see if they'll reimburse me my vet fees, which currently only stand at £18 but that's not the point!

The vet who I saw although she was very good is only a temporary one as my practice has lost three vets in the past month :shock:

If anyone has the address of manufacturers, tips on what I need to call and also if I need a vets report than I'd be very grateful. I'm absolutely fuming about the situation to be honest :evil:

I don't think she was planning on, however, I'm tempted to try and obtain the details myself and write in a letter of complaint. Ideally trying to see if they'll reimburse me my vet fees, which currently only stand at £18 but that's not the point!

The vet who I saw although she was very good is only a temporary one as my practice has lost three vets in the past month :shock:

If anyone has the address of manufacturers, tips on what I need to call and also if I need a vets report than I'd be very grateful. I'm absolutely fuming about the situation to be honest :evil:

http://www.noah.co.uk/issues/briefingdoc/17-pharmacovigilance.htm

http://www.noahcompendium.co.uk/Pfizer_Limited/Cylap/-44932.html

........and for info :

http://forums.rabbitrehome.org.uk/showthread.php?t=231238&highlight=vaccine+reaction

Last edited:
Yesterday morning I thought that Leo was healing, however, later on in the evening I noticed another very sore and red angry looking patch :shock:

I have just come down this morning and this has now increased to the size of a 10p in a matter of hours. I tried putting cream on it and i'm not sure if he's just fed up of my poking and prodding him hence him running away downstairs (and then five seconds later running back up to his food bowl :lol:) or whether it is hurting him whenever I touch it.

The majority of the skin affected is black with small red dots of bright red :(

He is due back at the vets for a follow up on Weds but in the meantime is there anything I can do at all to prevent this spreading anywhere else?

So sorry = me and you both with a poorly bunny this morning! Hope all is fine with Leo - I'm taking Poppy to the vets at 10.45 - suspected urine infection/problem:cry:

I would definitely ask your vet to report the reaction but if for any reason she doesn't you can report it yourself- it doesn't have to be a vet that reports it apparently. I would also make sure that they put a comment in leo's notes that he has had a reaction and ask them to give him LAPINJECT next time xx

Sadly this comes as no surprise to me :cry:

Is he on Metacam ?

He's not at the moment as the area at first seemed to be causing no discomfort. Literally a moment ago I just reapplied the cream and got no reaction from him what so ever, so I presume that he is not in pain. However, the new area seems to be spreading :?

He's not at the moment as the area at first seemed to be causing no discomfort. Literally a moment ago I just reapplied the cream and got no reaction from him what so ever, so I presume that he is not in pain. However, the new area seems to be spreading :?

I am thinking of the anti-inflammatory effect of Metacam rather than the analgesic effect.

What is the cream that you are applying ?

I recently had the same problem with my Poko.

You can view the thread here: http://forums.rabbitrehome.org.uk/showthread.php?t=240470

Her scabs healed on there own, i found that when I tried to put anything on them it made it worse because she would just start licking at it and then chewing the skin even more. My Vet told me not to put anything on it for this reason and it just healed on it's own, there is no scarring and the fur will grow back :)

Another victim of this damn stuff!!

How many more dumb animals have to suffer? :censored:

I'm sorry but we have been nursing a rabbit since March with bad Cylap reaction and it has all just kicked off again - he is in extreme discomfort and is stripping the skin off himself it crazes him so much.

I would like to see this vaccination withdrawn.

Another victim of this damn stuff!!

How many more dumb animals have to suffer? :censored:

I'm sorry but we have been nursing a rabbit since March with bad Cylap reaction and it has all just kicked off again - he is in extreme discomfort and is stripping the skin off himself it crazes him so much.

I would like to see this vaccination withdrawn.

Not really the best choice of wording, they are not dumb animals I don't think. I am still waiting to hear from my vet in terms of getting Lapinject or not, actually not best pleased that they haven't been able to email me back when another vet at another practice answered the question within 20 minutes even though they don't routinely dispense Lapinject either, she was able to establish availability very quickly - my vets haven't even bothered to let me know - :?

Back