• Forum/Server Upgrade If you are reading this you have made it to the upgraded forum. Posts made on the old forum after 26th October 2023 have not been transfered. Everything else should be here. If you find any issues please let us know.

Holidays?

rach-louise

Young Bun
just wondered what you all do with your Buns when you go away? Obviously i need to think about this before we get any Buns. Do you ask someone to feed them in your home or do you send them to someone elses home?

I get my boyfriends brother to come down fill waters, feed etc. I got my brother to do it sometimes too and paid him. If i were to go away i'd have to get a pet sitter in. I have far to many pets to take to boarding really, but that is an option if you only have a couple of animals. I believe it's between £5-£7(per day) per bun boarding- could be wrong, but that was it when i last checked. Discounts on pairs , and groups etc.

Hope this helps,
Ambience xx

I use Jo @ The bunnery in Cannock :) shes fantastic with the buns. I think its around £6/£7 for a 6x3 (approx) accommodation, our kids have a massive pen which is £15 a night :)

Ive previously left them with my mum, with strict instructions on bunny care, the vets phone number etc :) x

I use Tracy at RNGP Welfare for holidays, she is great and very reasonable, think she gets booked up quickly though. If its just overnight then my OH's parents kindly come up and see to them....tho they have quite a long list of instructions/do's and dont's :oops: but I feel much more secure when they are in boarding.

We've been unable to find suitable boarding for ours anywhere near us, but we do know a very nice lady that they are going to stay with when we go away later this year and we know they are always well looked after;).

We have a neighbour who comes in to feed the bunnies and refill water etc. They have the vet's details, and will empty litter trays once a week- pretty much all bunny excrement is in there so the shed is still nice and clean for the bunnies. It helps having an attatched run, as they can still go outside when unsupervised.

We went away last weekend and missed our babies the whole time!

My puppy went to stay with my sister and the 3 cats and rabbits stayed at home. My mum came to check on the cats and rabbits 2 times a day.

As for the rabbits ...

I left her a set of instructions....
*Open bottom cage door so rabbits have access to their run all day
*Lock bottom cage door at night and put covers on front of cage
*check water everytime you see them
*change litter trays everyday
*feed Excel morning and night
*feed some veg at night (I made little lunchboxes for each day! ;) )
*Make sure rabbits have LOTS of HAY!

My mum said she filled the hay rack with 'hay' and then one of the rabbits looked at her as if to say 'what's that?' Then she realised that she had given them straw, so she put the straw in their bed and then replaced with hay!

I think she found it quite stressful, so if we went away longer I think they would have to go into boarding.

Ours go to Deepdale Pets near Sleaford for bunny boarding and get thoroughly spoilt!

We don't go on holiday as we have lots of animals.

We have had family members offer to look after them but I can't take them up on it as I would worry the whole time and that would just ruin the holiday! :lol:

Paul and I are getting married next year and I think our honeymoon will be spent in the garden with the buns and piggies! :love:

I've got 7 buns and 8 cats and don't go away. It would be too expensive to pay someone to come in and care for them and I'd only worry anyway.

Frodo goes to Hoppy-Holidays in Pershore, Di is brilliant and it is so reassuring to know that he is properly being cared for and spoilt!:lol:

I'm going away in a couple of weeks so a girl from work is going to move in and house/bun sit for me! Originally Russell was going to go on his holidays to her house but we decided it's less stressful for all involved to keep him at home!

I don't think I'd be able to get him into bunny boarding with his chronic snuffles?

It depends,

Ian looks after mine when I go away without him (he gets a lot less time off than I do and also can't afford the lavish trips I tend to go on these days!). When I took him to Brazil, we had a friend who came and looked after the boys. When I went to Kenya, the previous owner took them back for a couple of weeks (that was by arrangement before I adopted them). Also Cheryl at SGP rescue has taken them for a couple of weeks when we both went to India.

I sent Strawbs and Snow to boarding with Lynne who runs Holidayhutches. She was brilliant with them and I would definately send them again next time I go on holiday.

Bramble goes to my OH's Mum and Dad's when we go away for a week or more. We take everything with us, hutch, run etc.... it only just fits in the campervan! They love having him.

If we are just away for the weekend, they come to our house everyday to take care of Bramble.

We are lucky too, as there is a lady in our town who does Bunny boarding. Although I have never used her a friend has, and says she is very good.

Sue @ Southampton Rabbit Rescue has mine, she's wonderful with them and thoroughly enjoyed having my little monsters :lol:

I used to get my friend down the road to come and look after the rabbits when I was away, but she wasn't very comfortable with them and I worried too much about them so this year they went The Rabbit Residence Rescue,
They will be going there next time as well, its a much better option :)

Back