PDA

View Full Version : Holidays?

rach-louise
17-08-2010, 11:07 PM
just wondered what you all do with your Buns when you go away? Obviously i need to think about this before we get any Buns. Do you ask someone to feed them in your home or do you send them to someone elses home?

Ambience
17-08-2010, 11:16 PM
I get my boyfriends brother to come down fill waters, feed etc. I got my brother to do it sometimes too and paid him. If i were to go away i'd have to get a pet sitter in. I have far to many pets to take to boarding really, but that is an option if you only have a couple of animals. I believe it's between 5-7(per day) per bun boarding- could be wrong, but that was it when i last checked. Discounts on pairs , and groups etc.

Hope this helps,
Ambience xx

Becky86
17-08-2010, 11:26 PM
I use Jo @ The bunnery in Cannock :) shes fantastic with the buns. I think its around 6/7 for a 6x3 (approx) accommodation, our kids have a massive pen which is 15 a night :)

Ive previously left them with my mum, with strict instructions on bunny care, the vets phone number etc :) x

helgalush
17-08-2010, 11:49 PM
I use Tracy at RNGP Welfare for holidays, she is great and very reasonable, think she gets booked up quickly though. If its just overnight then my OH's parents kindly come up and see to them....tho they have quite a long list of instructions/do's and dont's :oops: but I feel much more secure when they are in boarding.

Elena
17-08-2010, 11:53 PM
I have a friend come in once or twice a day.

pol287
18-08-2010, 12:26 AM
I also use Jo @ The Bunnery in Cannock - she is excellent! :D

Tuckerbunnies
18-08-2010, 12:27 AM
We do holiday bunny boarding :wave:

holidayhutch
18-08-2010, 01:04 AM
We've been unable to find suitable boarding for ours anywhere near us, but we do know a very nice lady that they are going to stay with when we go away later this year and we know they are always well looked after;).

w1lll
18-08-2010, 03:34 AM
We have a neighbour who comes in to feed the bunnies and refill water etc. They have the vet's details, and will empty litter trays once a week- pretty much all bunny excrement is in there so the shed is still nice and clean for the bunnies. It helps having an attatched run, as they can still go outside when unsupervised.

tanya_306
18-08-2010, 08:48 AM
We went away last weekend and missed our babies the whole time!

My puppy went to stay with my sister and the 3 cats and rabbits stayed at home. My mum came to check on the cats and rabbits 2 times a day.

As for the rabbits ...

I left her a set of instructions....
*Open bottom cage door so rabbits have access to their run all day
*Lock bottom cage door at night and put covers on front of cage
*check water everytime you see them
*change litter trays everyday
*feed Excel morning and night
*feed some veg at night (I made little lunchboxes for each day! ;) )
*Make sure rabbits have LOTS of HAY!

My mum said she filled the hay rack with 'hay' and then one of the rabbits looked at her as if to say 'what's that?' Then she realised that she had given them straw, so she put the straw in their bed and then replaced with hay!

I think she found it quite stressful, so if we went away longer I think they would have to go into boarding.

HS
18-08-2010, 08:51 AM
Ours go to Deepdale Pets near Sleaford for bunny boarding and get thoroughly spoilt!

Buuny_Friend
18-08-2010, 08:52 AM
We don't go on holiday as we have lots of animals.

We have had family members offer to look after them but I can't take them up on it as I would worry the whole time and that would just ruin the holiday! :lol:

Paul and I are getting married next year and I think our honeymoon will be spent in the garden with the buns and piggies! :love:

Rhianna
18-08-2010, 08:59 AM
I've got 7 buns and 8 cats and don't go away. It would be too expensive to pay someone to come in and care for them and I'd only worry anyway.

Toadie
18-08-2010, 09:26 AM
Frodo goes to Hoppy-Holidays in Pershore, Di is brilliant and it is so reassuring to know that he is properly being cared for and spoilt!:lol:

LucyB
18-08-2010, 09:36 AM
I'm going away in a couple of weeks so a girl from work is going to move in and house/bun sit for me! Originally Russell was going to go on his holidays to her house but we decided it's less stressful for all involved to keep him at home!

I don't think I'd be able to get him into bunny boarding with his chronic snuffles?

Kittykat23uk
18-08-2010, 09:57 AM
It depends,

Ian looks after mine when I go away without him (he gets a lot less time off than I do and also can't afford the lavish trips I tend to go on these days!). When I took him to Brazil, we had a friend who came and looked after the boys. When I went to Kenya, the previous owner took them back for a couple of weeks (that was by arrangement before I adopted them). Also Cheryl at SGP rescue has taken them for a couple of weeks when we both went to India.

Snowberry
18-08-2010, 10:23 AM
I sent Strawbs and Snow to boarding with Lynne who runs Holidayhutches. She was brilliant with them and I would definately send them again next time I go on holiday.

clarebear
18-08-2010, 11:00 AM
Bramble goes to my OH's Mum and Dad's when we go away for a week or more. We take everything with us, hutch, run etc.... it only just fits in the campervan! They love having him.

If we are just away for the weekend, they come to our house everyday to take care of Bramble.

We are lucky too, as there is a lady in our town who does Bunny boarding. Although I have never used her a friend has, and says she is very good.

Gem
18-08-2010, 11:01 AM
Sue @ Southampton Rabbit Rescue has mine, she's wonderful with them and thoroughly enjoyed having my little monsters :lol:

Heather&Bart-MyLittleBuns
18-08-2010, 11:04 AM
I used to get my friend down the road to come and look after the rabbits when I was away, but she wasn't very comfortable with them and I worried too much about them so this year they went The Rabbit Residence Rescue,
They will be going there next time as well, its a much better option :)

bunnylover177
18-08-2010, 11:26 AM
I pay a pet sitter and get my friend to check they are all ok every few days. Plenty of my friends have offered to look after them but they are not rabbit people and don't understand just how much work 11 buns and 5 g-pigs are! It's been hard enough to find a pet sitter who doesn't run for the hills after their first experience - I went through aobut 4 of them at one point! I'd also worry that if they did something stupid to my babies it would damage the friendship.

pigsforlife
18-08-2010, 11:37 AM
We usually have a relative who comes and house sits and looks after all the animals (2 dogs, 5 guinea pigs and 2 buns). I type up a list of instructions and label all food - also prepare veggie meals so they only have to chuck in the veggies at dinner time. We are not sure if the same thing is happening this year so boarding is an option we are considering. My vet runs a boarding service so that would be our first point of call. Only problem is the prices they charge.

For the buns I would need a "large enclosure" (which is a really good size) for $33 a day. The guinea pigs would need the cage two sizes below which is $26.50 a day and I would need two cages for them as they don't all get along. So for our 7 day holiday, I am looking at $567. No way in hell I can afford that. We have to check them out though as I may be able to get away with slightly smaller and therefore cheaper cages just for the week, but I really would prefer to avoid having to do that. It is much easier, cheaper and less stressful for all if you can get someone to come and house sit.

Amy104
18-08-2010, 01:21 PM
The 9 buns and 2 piggies all go into boarding. I am lucky in that the two people who run it are very generous and offer me one hell of a fantastic rate.

The two gerbils go to my mums as their cage is easy enough to transport.

lildebs
18-08-2010, 01:22 PM
I'm away beg of Sept, Bella and Oscar are off to Kays. :D

donnamt
18-08-2010, 01:25 PM
my pair went to my moms with strict routine instructions and loads of numbers for the experienced RU members who live close enough to help with Alvin should she need it.

if they didnt go to my moms i would send them to hopper haven for boarding or they would come with me

NLENG2000
18-08-2010, 01:30 PM
I send mine to Jess at the Bilton Hilton in Rugby. She charges 4.95 for two of mine sharing a hutch per night and all food, veg etc is included in the price. She has a wonderful set up and I explicitly trust her with my buns and know she would do the right thing if one of them was poorly.

Daisylop
18-08-2010, 01:31 PM
My oldest son will be looking after them [he's 20]. I worried last time I went away [in June] as Ozzie stresses and stops eating at any changes and son had thought it best to put him in the temporary hutch in the garden so he could see the others.True to form Ozzie stopped eating but my son spotted it immediately and dealt with it [so my lectures on bunnies tummies hadnt fallen on deaf ears!!:D].

Letichia
18-08-2010, 01:54 PM
Bella and Archie go back to the rescue we got them from as they also offer a boarding service as well as fostering for the rescue. They are excellent and its such a load of my mind to know they are in good hands:)

BB Mommy
18-08-2010, 02:10 PM
I have a sitter for the 3 dogs, 12 buns, tortoise and cockatiel.

esupi
19-08-2010, 08:46 PM
I was going to ask the same question!
We've had our two Nethies for 18 months or so - the first time we went away, we boarded them, but a lot of the boarding places around here closed last Christmas so that's not an option now. We have had a good friend come to stay with them, but can't ask her every time. We have also used sitters, but I don't feel they get enough exercise that way - they have a 4x6 enclosure but usually are free in the house at least 4 hours a day, which obviously the sitters can't do. My OH wants to ask the neighbours, but I don't feel we know them well enough - they don't know anything about rabbits, and I feel it's a lot to ask someone to take on and would put them on the spot.

Ideally, I have been thinking I would like to make friends with another 'bunny' person locally, so we could bunny-sit for each other (and swap bunny stories!), but I don't know how you'd go about this. None of my current friends have rabbits and they mostly think it's a little bit odd....

esupi

rach-louise
19-08-2010, 09:59 PM
Thanks for all replies!