• Forum/Server Upgrade If you are reading this you have made it to the upgraded forum. Posts made on the old forum after 26th October 2023 have not been transfered. Everything else should be here. If you find any issues please let us know.

Rabbit urine dangerous to humans?

mumble

New Kit
Is the amonia or anything in their urine odour dangerous to humans? I have a house rabbit and often can smell her urine stronger than other times.

Also, would it be safe to clean the corner of her cage where she urinates with neat vinegar whilst she's in there?

I would clean it with white vinegar or disinfectant (both watered down) and dry fully whilst she is out.

Bunnies' diseases are hardly ever transmitted to humans. A healthy bun has sterile wee like us.
Sometimes it's the chalk from the bunny wee in the tray which is the origin of the smell. Vinegar is a good way to deal with it, but please make sure your bun is out cos their sense of smell is so sensitive it would be distressing for them. I wash the tray out with plain water when I've dealt with the chalk.

I use a vinegar spray, I have cleaned out whilst they have been in -in the past when i've been doing a spot clean, rather than full clean- it is watered down though. I would really say it's best to put them out in a run or carrier whilst cleaning. Mine is stuff that you can spray and wipe, so not strong as neat vinegar.

Ambience x

Bunnies' diseases are hardly ever transmitted to humans. A healthy bun has sterile wee like us.
Sometimes it's the chalk from the bunny wee in the tray which is the origin of the smell. Vinegar is a good way to deal with it, but please make sure your bun is out cos their sense of smell is so sensitive it would be distressing for them. I wash the tray out with plain water when I've dealt with the chalk.

How do you deal with the chalk?

xxx

How do you deal with the chalk?

xxx

Neat Vinegar. I warm the tray with hot water. empty, then put a shallow layer of neat vinegar over the bottom, it bubbles immediately. This means it's dissolving the chalk. After about an hour I take a metal pan scourer to it. Most of the residue comes off in flakes. Then repeat until it's completely clean.

If it's on carpet or clothes, it's white vinegar again.

Back