• Forum/Server Upgrade If you are reading this you have made it to the upgraded forum. Posts made on the old forum after 26th October 2023 have not been transfered. Everything else should be here. If you find any issues please let us know.

Need suggestions for buns - what do you think?

Candiflare

Mama Doe
You might have read already that I've just been given two new additions from two families in my village who got bored of their rabbits. I'm aware that Alice at Windwhistle might have room but I'm loathed to clog up rescues with buns that I can "fit" at my house.

The only trouble now is that it's turned into a situation where none of them are getting the best deal out of it. Ralph, Ruby and Buzz are in a double 6ft hutch in the shed, opposite them is Penelope in a single 6ft-er, and then below Penelope is Rosie in a large dog crate. ALL in the shed.

My OH has banned the run on the grass until it grows back, so I'm now having to put my 7ftx4ft run on the patio which none of them enjoy as much. My OH has also banned the buns from the house (We're really raising some serious questions about our relationship at the moment, and the buns are a big factor, I can assure you...)

When I put the unspayed females out in the run/freeranging, Ralph, Ruby and Buzz smell it and start fighting. When I was giving them all supervised freeranging and unsupervised run time every day, it was leading to about three fights a day. Rosie has worked out how to escape from her dog crate, so every night she gets out and hops around the shed, causing the bonded three to chase each other all night. Unsurprising, I know, but I'm just trying to do my best.

I've got Rosie and Penelope in for their spays on the 27th (next friday) and then I'm planning on taking all five to fat fluffs to be bonded in mid september, then buying a 3 story ryedale hutch and keeping it on the patio attached to the run -- but at the moment I feel like they're all miserable.

Has anyone got any suggestions or little ways that might help? Do you think Windwhistle/another rescue might be able to take the two girls temporarily for a donation and then I'll have them back for their spay and bonding to live with me?

Im sorry to say, but you might have missed the boat on Alices..... she is absolutely fully at the moment :(

However, it would have been ideal, and possible, for the unspayed females to go to Alices until they were spayed and calmed down (obv at a cost) which is exactly what has happened for me and Buttons, I rescued Buttons from you know who but she was covered in mite and unspayed so she went to Alices for rest and be nursed to health and spayed, I will be paying her for the care she has had of course.

But, with that probably not possible now, can you move the hutch outside so the unspayed females arent so close to the others? I can see why it causes fights, Rimmi and Winter get grumpy at me when I have been to Alices with un-spayed and un-neutered rabbits.......

:(

What a hard situation!!

Could you get any friends/put an ad on here for someone to foster the girls for a few weeks while they calm down from their ops?

I'm happy to have Rosie indoors in a dog crate until her spay if that is what she is used to for a while. Don't know what else to suggest. I'd be loathe to upset the trio especially as they are recently bonded.

Have you tried BARKS at Banbury. Might be worth pming Clutterydrawer as she volunteers there to see what the situation is.

Thanks, that's really sweet...

Hmmm... I don't think any of my friends would do it... and it would make my OH give me a hard time if we took them somewhere in the village to be fostered for a bit because he'd think I was going too much out of my way.

Maybe I just ought to approach some people directly? I'll text alice and see what she says...

I'm happy to have Rosie indoors in a dog crate until her spay if that is what she is used to for a while. Don't know what else to suggest. I'd be loathe to upset the trio especially as they are recently bonded.

Have you tried BARKS at Banbury. Might be worth pming Clutterydrawer as she volunteers there to see what the situation is.

Sorry, only just saw this...

I might need to take you up on that... only so it stops affecting my 3 when she escapes. Do you have any clips on the bottom of your dog crate? Because mine doesn't have clips, so she's able to lift it up...

Sorry, only just saw this...

I might need to take you up on that... only so it stops affecting my 3 when she escapes. Do you have any clips on the bottom of your dog crate? Because mine doesn't have clips, so she's able to lift it up...

I have my crates the other way round so the top is the bottom if you know what I mean. That's fine let me know. It will keep my dad happy having someone to give treats to of an evening. :lol: I've also got one of those large indoor cages which is quite big and she shouldn't escape from that.

Thanks, that's really sweet...

Hmmm... I don't think any of my friends would do it... and it would make my OH give me a hard time if we took them somewhere in the village to be fostered for a bit because he'd think I was going too much out of my way.

Maybe I just ought to approach some people directly? I'll text alice and see what she says...

I'd PM her, she hasnt a clue where her phone is!! ("its in my bag, but I dont know where my bag is.....") Hahahaha.

Im seeing her tomorrow so I will talk to her as well (she doesnt get much time online as she has so much to do).

Banbury ^shudders^ I have been there twice now...... both times to the same place and it was terrible !! :( I didnt realise BARKS was in Banbury! Is that the rescue that doesnt neuter or am I getting confused?

Banbury ^shudders^ I have been there twice now...... both times to the same place and it was terrible !! :( I didnt realise BARKS was in Banbury! Is that the rescue that doesnt neuter or am I getting confused?

BARKS address is Banbury but the lovely lady who fosters is in Woodford Halse. I think it is Oxfordshire Animal Sanctuary that you are thinking of:? I got Wesley from BARKS. Its a nice rescue.

BARKS address is Banbury but the lovely lady who fosters is in Woodford Halse. I think it is Oxfordshire Animal Sanctuary that you are thinking of:? I got Wesley from BARKS. Its a nice rescue.

Oh, I am sure there is a place somewhere around that adopts out the buns without neutering or spaying.... hmmm..... maybe its the Cheltenham one?

The place I took some buns from.

Back