• Forum/Server Upgrade If you are reading this you have made it to the upgraded forum. Posts made on the old forum after 26th October 2023 have not been transfered. Everything else should be here. If you find any issues please let us know.

Cat and Dog Proof Housing

sidereus7

Mama Doe
(Sorry for the cross-post, but I was hoping for an answer ASAP.)

I know I haven't posted in a long time, but I need RU's wisdom!

I moved to a new place with the idea that it would be a temporary locale, but now it seems that I'm going to be staying here for quite awhile, and I need to move the bunnies over here with me. (The OH and I separated and it's a long, complicated story...)

The new place is a house where they have one dog (Boston Terrier) and two cats. The cats are outdoor and hunt a great deal, and the dog has chased bunnies before and is not well trained.

What is the best housing to keep my bunnies safe in? I have been using NIC condos with lots of zipties, but I don't really trust that will be strong enough. There is room to put them outside, but they have always been indoor buns, and I know that there is some transition time in getting them out there.

Any great ideas out there?

get a shed ;).. they would cope fine outside as long as you moved them out when it was warm and not winter. I'm not sure what id trust indoors against a dog and cats.. although a dogcrate would be sturdy enough, the dog/cats could still put their paws in to reach or scare the bunnies :?

get a shed ;).. they would cope fine outside as long as you moved them out when it was warm and not winter. I'm not sure what id trust indoors against a dog and cats.. although a dogcrate would be sturdy enough, the dog/cats could still put their paws in to reach or scare the bunnies :?

Yeah, that's exactly what I'm afraid of. One of my bunnies is pretty hardy and probably wouldn't be bothered by the dog and cats, but the other is much more skittish and I don't want to cause any undue stress to either of them.

It's been about 24C everyday, but it gets very rainy and stays around 4C all winter. But I think the UK has similar weather and a lot of you keep buns outside, so I'm sure there is a way.

Thank you for the reply.

Back