• Forum/Server Upgrade If you are reading this you have made it to the upgraded forum. Posts made on the old forum after 26th October 2023 have not been transfered. Everything else should be here. If you find any issues please let us know.
  • Please Note - Medical Advice

Please keep in mind that posts on this forum are from members of the public sharing personal opinions. It is not a replacement for qualified medical advice from a veterinarian. Many illnesses share similar symptoms but require different treatments. A medical exam is necessary for an accurate diagnosis, without which appropriate treatment cannot be given.

You should always consult your vet before following any suggestions for medication or treatment you have read about. The wrong treatment could make your rabbit worse or mean your vet is unable to give the correct treatment because of drug interactions. Even non prescription drugs can do harm if given inappropriately.

We are very grateful to members who take time to answer other members questions, but please do be clear in your replies that you are sharing personal experience and not giving instructions on what must be done.

Urgent Medical Advice: If you need, or think you might need, urgent medical advice you should contact a vet. If it is out of working hours phone your vet's normal number and there should be an answer phone message with instructions on what to do.

I'm not sure

wales1000

Young Bun
hello - my new boys were due to have the chop tomorrow, but my son is going into hospital for an operation for two days so they are being done next Tuesday. The reason I am posting is i have today noticed a few small areas on the rabbits where the fur has gone and they look a bit scabby. Could this possibly be some kind of fungal? I have experienced lice's and mites before with my gps, but i have always treated them so they never got to the stage where you could see scabs as I have always kept on top of it. I have tried several times to take pictures but my phone wont pick the pictures up so they are useless. I have tried looking closer at them, but as they came from a place not being handled and cared for they wont let me hold them. I cant get them to the vets as we are leaving for the hospital first thing in the morning and wont be home until Friday evening (OH is going to fed them so they wont be on their own, but he wont take them to the vets as I always deal with the animals). If they have some sort of fungal would it look like an area of missing fur (but its only slightly) and then a scab over it? I have moved them into their 7 ft x 4 ft enclosure in the spare bedroom and they havent been fighting.

Many thanks if you can help and if i make sense.

Natasha

It sounds like mites to me, I am afraid to say they will need to go to the vets to get the appropriate diagnosis and treatment, you will also need to fully disinfect their living area as otherwise they will continually get re infested.

It sounds like mites to me, I am afraid to say they will need to go to the vets to get the appropriate diagnosis and treatment, you will also need to fully disinfect their living area as otherwise they will continually get re infested.

thanks for your reply - i shall get them to the vets and get the appropriate treatment - can i ask, is it the same as the guinea pigs, the Xeno stuff. Also can i buy stuff to disinfect their living spaces, as its all carpeted? I do have spray which is for lice, mites and flees, which the johnsons, but you usually put on the body,

thanks.

Having no experience with mites I am afraid I can not advise on what to clean the environment with but I am sure the vets would be able to advise :D
I think the Xeno stuff can cause nasty reactions for buns but I could be wrong :? Even so, I would not advice to use anything until you have seen a vet.

Having no experience with mites I am afraid I can not advise on what to clean the environment with but I am sure the vets would be able to advise :D
I think the Xeno stuff can cause nasty reactions for buns but I could be wrong :? Even so, I would not advice to use anything until you have seen a vet.

no probs - i shall ask the vets, but thanks for your reply xx:)

This may not be mites, it could be a fungal infection, bacterial infection, or a vaccine reaction. Have your boys been vaccinated recently?

I think it is important that the bunnies see a vet asap in case treatment is needed. Please do not treat for mites unless these are diagnosed by a vet, and if they are then the safest treatment is Ivermectin. Some preparations can cause severe allergic responses in rabbits. Xeno 450 is very different to Xenex. I would personally want them seen by a vet before using any preparation as there may be an underlying illness behind the loss of fur/scabs.
Can you not persuade your OH to take them to the vet? This would be the most sensible option.

Back