• Forum/Server Upgrade If you are reading this you have made it to the upgraded forum. Posts made on the old forum after 26th October 2023 have not been transfered. Everything else should be here. If you find any issues please let us know.

Hay price increase

bluebunny

Wise Old Thumper
Apparently hay prices are going to be shooting up due to a shortage i get mine off my boss at work,But his next lot he will have to buy in at £7 a bale so i will have to start paying for it,He said straw is going for £5 a bale:shock:

So start stocking up everyone!!!!!!

Last edited:
I read that a while back about the hay going up....
Normally pay £3.50 a bale....... Went to get some more the other day and it had gone up to £6.00 a bale.
Came home and cleared as much room as poss to stock up on a few more bales, but with 10 rabbits and 2 guinea pigs.. a bale does not last very long.

Funny, I emailed Jill about this earlier today as I've just managed to pay up front for another 10 bales (already got 70). I was extremely lucky and managed to get it at £3 a bale and it's bloomin lovely stuff too :D

'they' say this every year - I have a horse so I'm used to this attempt to panic people.
It probably will go up, but the prices would go up anyway.
IMO (and I've already done this rant on RU this week, sorry) the aim is to get people (with horses) to swap to more expensive alternatives.
just watch, there'll be a scare going around about a lack of straw shortly :censored:
Quality of hay seems good this year though.

Mine has gone from £3.50 to £4, but that's because several of the local suppliers have had their barns torched and lost all their hay:cry:

I have quite a few farming friends and there have been thefts of 1000's of bales of hay because of people panicing re. cost/shortage :shock:

'they' say this every year - I have a horse so I'm used to this attempt to panic people.
IMO (and I've already done this rant on RU this week, sorry) the aim is to get people (with horses) to swap to more expensive alternatives.
just watch, there'll be a scare going around about a lack of straw shortly :censored:

They get it for the horses at work,hes just had about 100 bales delivered so might nab a few of them;)

There's already been a shortage this year anyway cos of the naff harvest last year.

I pay £5 a bale so it doesn't worry me too much

I agree with this ^^^

I've been hearing about hay shortages for the last 3 or 4 years that I can think off, never really been affected by it tho. I've been paying £4.60 a bale for ages.

I do have a feeling this year it might be different tho. The field my pony is kept on is grown for hay. Belle is a laminitic so has to stay off the grass so she has a strip at the bottom of the field. This year there was only a quarter of what was normally cut. Now, I put this down to the weather, and the fact that the field was under solid ice at the beginning of the year for about 3 weeks if not a bit longer. The farmer is blaming me, well Belle anyway. He thinks she's eaten it all. I'm not being funny, but if she had, she would be dead!

totally agree with that it's to make people with horses panic. we got are straw last week for the winter £2.50 a bale the same as it's been for the last 3 years.
hay is £3 a bale the same as it has been for 3 years. a friend of mine cut there own for there horses and this year the had a excellent crop with more bales than last year.

prices are allready up round here. There was a time i went to a horse suplier and they ahd none at all :shock:

My hay has gone up from £4 to £5, they are not selling any to new customers and are limiting the amount people can have. They are down on their supply by 50% from last year.

Their prices are going to increase to £7 next week if we have anymore rain and may go higher than thet.

I can tell you what I've been paying...

Oct 09 - £4.75
Feb 10 - £4.80
Apr 10 - £5.30
Jun 10 - £5.65
Jul 10 - £5.75

So ours has been going up steadily. It's still WAY cheaper than buying from a pet shop.

Last edited:
we pay £7.00 a bale now but it's beautiful green sweet smelling hay and it's an hour's drive to collect some bales but well worth it.

Back