• Forum/Server Upgrade If you are reading this you have made it to the upgraded forum. Posts made on the old forum after 26th October 2023 have not been transfered. Everything else should be here. If you find any issues please let us know.

Buns and Pigs playing in the garden

linda.b

Young Bun
Heres a few pics of the bunnies and piggies playing in the garden. They dont "live" together, but like to share the garden and will go and visit each others homes in the shed. Does anyone else let their buns and pigs play out together?
buns.jpg
ttp://i776.photobucket.com/albums/yy45/lindaone/pigs.jpg[/IMG]
pigs.jpg

Looks like they are a happy lot! :):) Wish I could let my bunny freerange, but our garden isn't suitable. He did manage to jump out of his 75cm high pen once...:shock:

How do you catch your guineas? :shock::lol:

My Chi Chi (RIP) escaped once and me and my dad spent the entire day trying to catch her. We hid behind bed sheets on the washing line and a put vegetable trail across the garden then sprung out and caught her :lol:

How do you catch your guineas? :shock::lol:QUOTE]

If you buy sewer pipe from a local hardware store and cut it in a few feet lengths. Guinea's will go in this and you can pick them up this way!
Gets my Alfie everytime!:lol::lol:

To be honest, I dont usually have to catch them, as they just go back to their shed when they've had enough outside. If I'm in a rush and need them to go back in, I just walk behind them and "herd" them back home :lol:

Hi linda :wave: they look like they are having a lovely time. i want to let my bunnies free range but there are too many escape routes! where did you get that metal fence? it would be ideal to put around the edge of my garden.

I've always been under the impression guineas and rabbits shouldn't be allowed our together due to how easily a bun can injure a piggy.
I think another reason is that piggies are so easily scared and might be frightened by rabbits binkying around (though I imagine that's less of an issue when they're used to each other, as yours are).

I've just heard too many horror stories to consider letting them out together.

I particularly love your black guinea though!

Hi. Kelly, I got the fence from Wickes. It is a pack of storage cubes. Instead of making up into a storage unit I just tie wrap them together. My garden is secure but the buns tend to eat my plants so I put the fence round. Silly buns could easily jump straight over the top, but so far haven't:) The packs are £14.99 and you get about 17 panels. A lot of people also use them to make cages.

Hi Battlekat. My black is a rex and very friendly. He follows me round the garden! I always let the rabbits out first and they have a mad time jumping around and when they get down to the serious business of trimming the lawn, I let the piggies out. They tend to come out, have a munch of the grass and go back inside, so they are not really out together that long. Dont worry If I thought they might get hurt, I would not let them out together!

I've just heard too many horror stories to consider letting them out together.

I too have read lots of (sadly very true!) stories of people whose buns' and piggies got on "so well" together etc..... but it didn't stop the piggies being killed by a bunny jumping on the said pig. I have read traumatised piggy owners sobbing about their literally flattened piggy.

I would never, ever risk my guinea pigs' life by letting them free range together. It's an unnecessary risk - and believe me - it *is* a risk - a very big risk!! If you truly believe it's ok then I'm afraid you are fooling yourself. I have piggies and buns' but they never meet and never will.

In a huge space like a garden, I don't think it's too likely that the guinea pigs will be hurt by the rabbits. Well you could say that dogs could hurt rabbits too, and lots of people let them spend time together. :)

I think it's lovely that yours can play in the garden together, and I wish mine could too. :D

Mine could escape though and I have 4 dogs and 6 cats! So it'd never happen I'm afraid.

Back