• Forum/Server Upgrade If you are reading this you have made it to the upgraded forum. Posts made on the old forum after 26th October 2023 have not been transfered. Everything else should be here. If you find any issues please let us know.

sneezing/choking---advice needed please!

bunny mad lisa

Mama Doe
teddy has had a bit of a snotty nose but is fine otherwise. we think this is caused by a blocked tearduct as he has a runny eye and one nostril snotty on the same side. He has had the tear duct flushed a few time recently but it is well and truley blocked. He does have dental issues and gets molar spurs.

My worry was that this morning he was trying to sneeze and nothing came out and he looked like he was choking. I calmed him down by stroking him and it did stop and then a few mins later was eating treats like nothing had happened. This hasn't happened before. He is fine in himself.

I wonder if his tooth root have gone into his nose....wondering wether antibiotic or steroid or metacam would help?
any advice?

I have a rabbit and she sneezes and chokes and makes the most horrible noise, when she first did it I thought she was going to drop dead!!
I got her checked out and it ended up as hay fever (bless- I had some dusty hay which I binned!) and she is happy as larry!
I would suggest taking her to the vet as sneezing could be any number of problems, together with the runny eyes, better safe than sorry with the little one.

I have a bun who is allergic to wood shavings/dusty hay, & she sneezes/coughs when she is anywhere near it, but I would say get him along to the vets just incase :wave:

My Gremlin used to make loud quacking noises when she had a URI. She still makes strange noises when she's stressed because her nasal passages have permanent scarring.

My initial thoughts for Teddy would be URI, but I guess that it could be dental...have you had a skull x-ray done?

thanks everyone. vet gave him a good check over and he hasn't done it anymore! she thinks he may have had a backup in his nose due to the tear duct so i am just hoping it has cleared, his nose is dry today!:D have septrin on standby if he starts again!

I have a bunny with snuffles that sneezes and chokes when she is running about or over exerted- this can be just on lino. Runny nose- i'd get that aspect of it checked definately.

Ambience xx

Back