• Forum/Server Upgrade If you are reading this you have made it to the upgraded forum. Posts made on the old forum after 26th October 2023 have not been transfered. Everything else should be here. If you find any issues please let us know.

Bedding alternatives

pinkgirly

Warren Scout
The last few times I've cleaned the buns hutch out my eyes have got really sore and itchy :( I'm using wood shavings which are supposed to be dust extracted so was wondering what other things people use?

I use carefresh in my guinea pigs' litter tray so I'm going to use it in the buns too but would need something else for the rest of the hutch.

I wouldn't use woodshavings with any animal to be honest. You can use carefresh if you want but I just fill my litter trays with newspaper then a thick layer of hay. I don't cover the floor of the run part of my kennel but the floor of the sleeping part I line with newspaper then put a rug in for warmth and comfort. You can however just use newspaper and hay that way they can snuggle in it and eat it at the same time.

I've started using hemp (Hemcore bedding) in my litter trays and it amazing. It's got citrinella (spelling?) on it too so smells lovely. Wont hurt the buns if they eat it either:D

It's the hay which irritates my eyes. I use megazorb which works brilliantly for us. I would never go back to shavings.

Back