• Forum/Server Upgrade If you are reading this you have made it to the upgraded forum. Posts made on the old forum after 26th October 2023 have not been transfered. Everything else should be here. If you find any issues please let us know.

My Horse Obie!

*Spider*

Wise Old Thumper
Just some pictures today of Obie outside my new house :love:
He's not wearing any boots as we went through the ford, so didn't want them to get wet and be uncomfortable for him. Also, that's why I'm wearing wellies! Advice... never wear wellies while riding!
Please excuse my horrendous face! No makeup, so I look pretty grotesque!
066.jpg

My Mum's friend stroking him.. he loves fuss :love:
069.jpg

Spotted something :love:
075.jpg

I hope you like him :)

Ohhhh what is Obie? hes stunning :love: what height etc is he ??? (im horse daft :love: )

He's a 4 year old 'Rose Grey' Irish Sport's Horse. He's 1/2 Thoroughbred (Saddler Wells bloodlines) and 1/2 Irish Draught (his grand sire being the legendary Clover Hill). He's 16.1hh at the moment, but I'm really hoping that he'll gain another 1-2 inches. Even if he doesn't, due to the ID in him, he should 'feel' bigger.
He has a lovely bold jump, but I'm not jumping him yet as he's only a bubba!
At the moment, as he's just been broken, working on getting him fit, building muscle, basic traning and pleasure hacking. We're both going to Hartpury College in September so the real work starts there :)
Love him to pieces :love::love:

Oh Cloverhill? My friend has a cloverhill :) I love the irish bred cant beat them :) hes stunning :) my boys a 15hh Irish Cob coloured of course :love: did you back him yourself? Good on you schooling him etc :) And when it comes to jumping I bet he will fly with that Cloverhill blood :) xx

He does have a beautiful jump! He jumped a 5 bar gate from a very sedate canter when I first got him. I was gobsmacked. I was free schooling him, and his field is next to the outdoor school, so he just decided to jump it like it was nothing! Ceeerazzzeee pony!
He was lightly backed when I got him, for about a month he'd been broken. Not saying that they did it 'badly', but they weren't very nice to him. When I tried him, I had to really kick him to make him to anything (not my style AT ALL, and neither should it be anyone else's). But this has soon changed with us working on bodily weight, voice signals (I'm a very quiet rider)
But I've done most of the work myself, and he is working absolutely beautifully. At the moment the school in my opinion is unsuitable for anything other than lunging/free schooling as it's on a hill, and he just loses his balance and everything goes out the window, so the real work will start at Hartpury with their outstanding facilities!

sounds like a typical youngster! I had to use 2 schooling whips to teach Beau how to walk on. I had backed him myself he was fine with the sitting n him part he just wasnt sure of the walking forward part :lol: bless but he sounds amazing you will be doing 120 tracks in no time :) xx

Edit: Im quiet when needs be but i never kick i always carry a schooling whip to back up a nudge and would NEVER use spurs awful things :censored: just incase you thought I battered the pour soul :lol: xx

sounds like a typical youngster! I had to use 2 schooling whips to teach Beau how to walk on. I had backed him myself he was fine with the sitting n him part he just wasnt sure of the walking forward part :lol: bless but he sounds amazing you will be doing 120 tracks in no time :) xx

Edit: Im quiet when needs be but i never kick i always carry a schooling whip to back up a nudge and would NEVER use spurs awful things :censored: just incase you thought I battered the pour soul :lol: xx

On hacks I'm having to nudge him on a lot!!! he really p**ses me off as he sometimes does a really sarcastic walk! Trouble is my friend lost my schooling whip so I'm having to use more leg which I don't like.

I don't mind spurs, I just think people misuse them, and rely on them too much, or use them as punishment.

I have to use spurs sometimes on my mare. Her old owner had a rare blood disease where her legs were very weak (she's a big solid 16.2hh hunter :shock:) so she wore spurs, so Hilly relied heavily on them. I only use it whilst doing dressage, but we were using them less and less. Not that I will ever ride her again :cry:

aww hun **hugs** youngsters are a pain in the backside they try and test you, Im having a few probs with mine he just does it to me case im his mam! Cheeky beggar ! I had started riding him in a Harbridge and that helped us a lot. They like to try us but i wouldnt change it for the world!!! He sounds like hes coming on grand ! xxx

aww hun **hugs** youngsters are a pain in the backside they try and test you, Im having a few probs with mine he just does it to me case im his mam! Cheeky beggar ! I had started riding him in a Harbridge and that helped us a lot. They like to try us but i wouldnt change it for the world!!! He sounds like hes coming on grand ! xxx

I know, people are flabbergasted at the yard that he's so perfect! They're always complimenting me on how lovely he's coming on... but I don't feel like I can take a lot of credit, as it's all him!
I love him so much, but his sarcastic walk is him just being lazy.
Sometimes I just think he's being a fat pig, and just wants to get back to stuff his face with hay, be groomed and fussed!
What is a Harbridge?
Obie's in a Full Cheek French Link.

Its not a bit hes on a loose ring snaffle.... its a training aid similar to side reins but it doesnt hold his head in also similar to a bungey but it makes them hold themself so they are using the right muscles and are properly rounded ... I think theres a right up on horse and hound? google it. I use it for lunging mainly x

Its not a bit hes on a loose ring snaffle.... its a training aid similar to side reins but it doesnt hold his head in also similar to a bungey but it makes them hold themself so they are using the right muscles and are properly rounded ... I think theres a right up on horse and hound? google it. I use it for lunging mainly x

Ooooh sounds fantastic!!!! How much was it? Will definitely buy it!

no I dont think It can be used with a roller ... it basically looks like a running martingale but its not if that makes sense? you would lunge with tack on xx

Hetty he is beautiful, hes really coming on, its great to see and hear about the work your putting in..

How is Hilly? Is she actually yours? Why cant you ride her? xxx

Back